Director, Content Licensing Sales
The Endocrine Society, the world’s largest organization of endocrinologists, representing more than 18,000 physicians, scientists, and other health professionals, currently seeks a content licensing sales professional to initiate and close new and renewal business related to a variety of content products in all formats, including meeting session outputs, review and self-assessment publications, books, videos and all patient education materials. Efforts will target multiple channels, including medical device, pharmaceutical, hospitals, managed care, advertising agencies, insurance companies, medical societies, consumer portals and platforms, and popular media (e.g. magazines & their websites) plus any other industries or organizations as appropriate to achieve budgeted revenue targets.
- The successful candidate will also service an existing licensing client base, ensuring the product delivered meets or surpasses client expectations to guarantee future renewals and sales. The individual will be accountable for developing successful sales, content, and expansion strategies; closing profitable deals; prospecting, negotiating, and executing content licensing agreements, with oversight of content delivery and emphasis on electronic/digital/online methods.
- In concert with senior management, the successful candidate will also contribute to the development of cutting-edge marketing strategies (print, digital, social) that grow licensing opportunities for a rich content resource spearheaded by material from Endocrine Society.
What you’ll bring to the job:
- A BA/BS degree, preferably in a business or liberal arts program and 5+ years' acquisitions or licensing sales experience selling healthcare information online or similar required.
- A background or experience in STM publishing/acquisitions, the pharma/healthcare industry, health portals, non-profits, brands/trademarks, or education/academia preferred, as well as working knowledge of medicine.
- An understanding of online content development and electronic publishing.
- A demonstrated ability to close impactful licensing deals with third parties – both domestically and internationally.
- A solid understanding of the publishing and licensing industries, including best practices, GAAP principles of revenue recognition, general deal terms, licensing sales processes, and a variety of common licensing deal structures specific to the publishing industry.
- Excellent negotiation skills, with the ability to solve problems tactfully and with a “big picture” perspective.
- A proven history of achieving and exceeding revenue targets. P&L responsibility.
- A self-starter attitude; strong organization skills; flexible approach; and a team player mindset, with the ability to form relationships with internal stakeholders to maintain a deep knowledge of the organization's mission as well as content produced. The ability to maintain strong communication with internal teams to convey licensing strategies and goals, including needs for custom creation. Product development experience a plus.
- The ability to travel domestically and internationally.
We believe in and empower our staff. We know that with our investment in their growth, they have an even greater potential to contribute to our organization. Our core values embody the character and culture of our staff – they guide our decision making, interactions and how we serve our members. As an organization, we are committed to: demonstrating responsible stewardship, treating one another with trust and mutual respect, supporting work life balance, sustaining an inclusive environment, and fostering an environment that encompasses communication, service, collaboration, results & innovation.
What you’ll do well:
- Demonstrate initiative by looking for and suggesting solutions to problems without prodding. Be a self-starter continually looking for ways to improve your effectiveness. Proactively involves management and co-workers in order to address issues in a timely fashion. Ability to work with minimum supervision and take independent action.
- Communicate compellingly. Be able to command others’ attention. Convey credibility, trustworthiness, and good judgment when making suggestions. Use supporting data effectively when attempting to make an argument or convince others. Adapt efforts to influence others based on specific individuals’ or audiences’ issues, needs, and perspective.
- Secure new content licensing opportunities by identifying, approaching, assessing, and closing new customers. Prioritize effort to appropriately emphasize prospecting activities. Be creative in finding new sources of customer leads. Cultivate lead referrals from customers and other prospects. Quickly assess prospects’ potential in order to focus an appropriate level of effort on each opportunity. Close new customers quickly and efficiently. Achieve objectives for developing new business.
- Effectively build relationships with people whose assistance, cooperation, and support may be needed. Build rapport and establishes a common bond with individuals. Recognize the business concerns and perspectives of others. Show interest in what others have to say; acknowledge their perspectives and ideas; and express gratitude and appreciation to others who have provided information, assistance, or support.
What you’ll get out of it:
- Working with a staff that has passion for our mission, believes in one another and has fun.
- The chance to work in an environment that empowers staff to take informed risks and create new programs and services.
- A chance to make a contribution in a fun job with room to make it your own.
- A strong and competitive salary, attractive commission structure and benefits package that focuses on your well-being and financial health.
Endocrine Society offers a convenient downtown DC location within walking distance of Farragut North/Farragut West and Foggy Bottom Metro stations. Qualified candidates interested in a purposeful work environment, competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including a generous TIAA- CREF retirement plan with 10% employer contribution, should submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements.
When applying to this position, you will be directed to an external job application site hosted by ADP. If you are a first-time user, please register for your unique login information before applying for this position.