Director of Programs & Content
Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) is seeking an experienced literacy professional with a passion for children’s literacy. The Director of Programs & Content is one part strategic leader, one part reading expert, and one part skilled relationship manager. In this capacity, the Director will work with the programs team to evaluate, create, and execute programmatic and content strategies to ensure a diverse and sustainable portfolio to support RIF’s mission.
The Director will serve as a thought leader for children’s literacy for the organization and is responsible for serving as a subject matter expert to many diverse audiences via various forms of media. The Director is responsible for developing effective, integrated strategies to promote RIF’s literacy mission and implement our vision.
The successful candidate will have experience working with educators, parents, volunteers, and other literacy organizations. The Director will develop, curate, and manage content for these various audiences, ensuring the highest quality resources are delivered. The Director is also responsible for developing a consistent and appropriate editorial voice and have experience working collaboratively with cross-departmental teams that support a culture of literacy and deliver collective impact.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage RIF’s existing portfolio of literacy programs as well as plan and implement new initiatives to ensure RIF provides current, relevant, impactful programs designed to cultivate a culture of literacy in communities nationwide.
- Ensure programs are effective and designed to support a network of local RIF program sites.
- Develop and implement assessments and evaluations of programs and outcomes on a regular basis in order to ensure that programs are of the highest quality and have the greatest possible impact.
- Stay current with the latest academic research and methodology in the areas relevant to RIF’s programs, incorporating it into RIF’s programs when appropriate.
- Develop and manage project budgets; ensure wise and cost-effective spending. Employ metrics to ensure programs reach short/long-term goals within critical deadlines.
- Serve as a visible and effective spokesperson for RIF, both verbally and in writing, to reinforce and build positive understanding of the organization with its many audiences. Serve as an effective advocate for RIF’s literacy services.
- Manage the content strategy for RIF programs and content.
- Conceptualize and implement content strategies to support a multichannel, multi-platform universe.
- Direct the selection/curation of RIF books and book collections working with internal and external stakeholders, including; authors, publishers, funders, educators, and RIF’s academic advisory committee.
- Oversee the development of literacy support materials, including those intended for parents, educators, students, literacy volunteers and RIF program partners.
- Deepen engagement with the RIF user base through a comprehensive content strategy, including a robust evaluation process to ensure resources are relevant and impactful to the audiences we serve.
- Manage RIF academic advisory board to advise on new content and programmatic strategies.
- Assist in grant proposal writing for state, federal, and philanthropic grants.
- Grow and enhance relationships with children’s publishing partners.
- Serve as the literacy expert in cross-departmental activities designed to support RIF’s mission and expand our impact.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree in Reading, Early Childhood Development or Education preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in children’s literacy and reading.
- 8 years’ experience in the not-for-profit/education sector is highly desirable, along with experience and demonstrated expertise in designing, conducting and assessing reading, family literacy or children’s educational programs.
- Demonstrated excellence in writing ability and editing skills.
- A successful track record in executing on strategy, setting priorities, managing multiple projects and working effectively under pressure to achieve individual and organizational goals.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, reliable and flexible; thrives in a fast-paced environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity, finds solutions and is able to think strategically about the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, an ability to listen to and balance, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A consummate team player with a flexible, collaborative and creative approach who can lead from behind and empower teammates to contribute their best.
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
RIF offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision plans, generous annual leave, 403(b) plan with company contribution and company paid life and disability.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements for consideration.