Engineer III (WDCD)
Serves as a project engineer for all phases of contract administration for wastewater treatment and sanitary collection system. Assists management on all aspects of planning and procurement of professional services during the design and bid phase services. Participates in technical reviews and coordinates with various internal and external agencies during the detailed design phase. Assists management of all aspects of construction contracts to ensure quality, timely delivery and cost effectiveness of the project. Assists in claim avoidance, contract dispute negotiation and resolution, and solving complex engineering or construction problems. Ensures construction progress is timely; reviews inspection reports and takes any appropriate action necessary to correct conflicts or problems.
Duties are performed under the general supervision of the Senior project engineers of the Wastewater Design and Construction Division. May also prepare project designs or perform other duties as required. This position resides in Capital Facilities, Wastewater Design and Construction Division, in the Department of Public Works & Environmental Services.
The reporting location for this position will be the Noman M. Cole, Jr. Pollution Control Plant at 9399 Richmond Highway in Lorton, Virginia.
Any combination of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus four years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
The preferred candidates possesses the following:
- Bachelor's degree with major course work in civil/environmental engineering or related field plus four years of progressively responsible project management experience in the wastewater engineering design and construction field.
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills.
- Experience in planning, budgeting, design, construction, project management, and construction contract administration of wastewater treatment and collection projects.
- Knowledgeable of various wastewater treatment and collection processes and operations.
- At least three years of experience of local, state, and federal environmental regulations.
- At least three years of experience in managing multiple capital projects concurrently.
- At least three years of experience in conducting public meetings on capital project issues.
- Intermediate to advance experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Intermediate information technology skills including AutoCAD, GIS, MS Project/Primavera and PDF.
- Must be highly motivated; possess the skills necessary to work in a fast-paced collaborative team environment; and be oriented toward providing outstanding customer service to user agencies and project stakeholders.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
A valid driver's license is required.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Is required to complete a criminal background check and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Duties are performed with or without reasonable accommodation. Requirements are as follows:
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to walk, negotiate or traverse property sites that may be undergoing construction or having terrain that is not level.
- Ability to hear normally in order to recognize backup alarms of the construction equipment.
- Ability to safely climb construction ladders up to 15 feet.
- Must be able to produce hand written and typed documents.
Panel Interview and may include a written exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.