- Full Time
Reviews and evaluates construction plans for buildings, building tenants, site, suppression, fire detection, and smoke control for compliance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, The Fairfax County (Chapter 62) Fire Prevention Code, the Code of the County of Fairfax, the Public Facilities Manual, reference standards and department requirements. Prepares appropriate correspondence to architects, engineers, designers, installers, owners, contractors addressing any code-related deficiencies noted during plan reviews. Processes all necessary forms, computer entries, and logs in orders to record project time and comply with cost recovery mandates. Provides technical assistance to colleagues and other branches of the division by providing technical reports and evaluations. Obtains and maintains state certifications as Fire Protection Plans Examiner pursuant to Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) and Virginia Certification Standards.Employment Standards
Any combination of education, training and experience equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technologies with a bachelor's degree in the appropriate engineering or architectural field; plus four years of progressively responsible professional experience in the appropriate engineering field.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Driver's license (Required upon hire);
- Fire Protection Plans Reviewer (VDHCD) (Required within 12 months);
- Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development Building Code Academy (CORE Module) (Required within 12 months).
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Appointee will be required to complete a criminal background check, a driving record check, and an Office of Inspector General check to the satisfaction of the employer.
The preferred candidates possesses the following:
- Knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and Virginia Statewide Fire Prevention Code.
- Experience with review of building and tenant drawings for construction type, structural fire resistance, means of egress, and fire protection systems requirements.
- Experience, including laboratory and classroom experience, with fire protection systems, water distribution systems, building construction materials, processes and techniques, fire alarm systems, (including circuits and devices), codes and standards.
- Experience with engineering calculation techniques for occupant loads, egress capacity, travel distance, hydraulics, fire alarm circuitry, and for structural fire resistance.
Ability to lift 25 pounds. Ability to stoop and bend over. Ability to operate PC driven equipment. Duties may be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel Interview; may include exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.