JOB DESCRIPTION: EDUCATION DIRECTOR
Directs, manages and further develops ISAC’s educational programs, both face-to-face and online, so that they benefit members and students and advance ISAC’s organizational educational strategy and vision for cytometry and cellular analysis. Reports to the Executive Director.
- Leads and directs ISAC’s educational efforts with management, budget and marketing responsibility for current programs, including CYTO U, CYTO tutorials, CYTO Youth, and future programs. Recommends the best format for ISAC’s educational material based on learning objectives, instructional design principles and strategy and recommends what content development to outsource and what to do in house. Continually improves ISAC’s educational programs with best practices and innovative approaches. Oversees customer service for ISAC’s educational programs.
- Manages the budget for ISAC’s educational programs and provides good financial oversight. Grows revenue for ISAC’s educational programs such as from grants, sponsorship or group sales.
- Serves as staff liaison to the ISAC Education Committee and its task forces (flow cytometry content, image cytometry content, shared resource lab content and live education delivery) and works closely with chairs to further the educational programs the committee oversees. Coordinates efforts between the Educational Committees and its taskforces, helping to set realistic, achievable goals. Schedules and prepares materials for conference calls and meetings, writes meeting minutes and reports, follows up on action items and deliverables. Assists volunteer leaders on promoting and coordinating international workshops.
- Manages, develops, enhances and maintains CYTO U’s site and Learning Management System, including overall look and feel, content, data integrity, and functionality enhancement. Manages and oversees the development of educational material such as courses and webinars for CYTO U.Manages, evaluates and chooses best vendors (LCMS, content enhancement, and course packaging). Provides experienced guidance for Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and volunteers in developing education programs and e-learning content, such as offering recommendations for best practices or improvement, ideas for providing education, delivery methods, cost-savings opportunities, and vendors.
- Assists faculty, author groups and subject matter experts with defining and creating learning content. Formats and edits faculty content to ensure that it fits consistently with established courseware quality guidelines, and builds the courses using e-learning software such as Articulate Storyline, the LCMS (learning content management system) or other software. Obtains copyright permission for material used, oversees the content review process and manages the translation program.
- Manages the CYTO Scientific Tutorials from the planning stage to the evaluation of its success including the program budget. Oversees instructor confirmation process including invitation, verification and communication regarding presentation guidelines, instructions, reimbursements, AV requirements, author and recording releases, etc. Provides onsite support.
- Works with ISAC marketing and membership manager to ensure educational programs are marketed effectively to target audiences. Oversees vendors’, consultants’ and ISAC’s program assistant’s work on ISAC’s educational programs.
- Ensures educational programs comply with requirements for CMLE continuing education and oversees distribution of credit.
- Advances and manages research, analytics and reporting on education programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong leadership and strategic planning skills
- Ability to motivate, supervise and manage others especially volunteers
- Ability to facilitate group meetings and build consensus among international leadership and stakeholders with different goals, expectations and needs so that you can complete difficult tasks and accomplish organizational goals.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with ability to handle complex and multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience modeling and estimating schedules, plans and costs for projects
- Ability to work in a changing environment, manage multiple projects, prioritize competing requests and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills that enable you to work effectively with staff, both individually and in a team environment, with vendors and with volunteers at all levels (leadership, members, committees, etc.)
- Must be a goal oriented, creative thinker who can conceptualize and deliver on ideas; and work independently without direction or with a team to drive projects forward and solve problems.
- Strong customer service orientation and satisfaction in providing assistance.
- Cultural literacy and ability to work in international settings
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to make operational and strategic decisions or judgments when you may have incomplete or contradictory information
- Understanding and knowledge of adult learning theory and educational technologies and the desire to keep current with new trends in adult learning theory and online learning
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors in science, education or related area required. Advanced degree preferred.
7-10 years of related experience in association management, science or education.
Experience with Learning Management Software (LMS), Learning Content Management System software (LCMS), webinar platforms, and other e-learning software such as Articulate Storyline preferred.
While ISAC is located in the Washington, D.C., area in Arlington, Virginia, qualified out-of-town candidates who can telework will be considered. Relocation money may be available. Travel and other work-related assignments on weekends and evenings are possible.
For Washington, DC, area candidates, work is primarily performed in the ISAC office during normal business hours. Telecommuting up to one day a week may be granted after one year but is not guaranteed.
Sitting and /or standing for a full work day
Extensive use of computer keyboard, mouse and monitor
Routinely lift objects less than 10 lbs and occasionally lift objects up to 40 lbs.
Work will also be required at ISAC meeting venues including convention centers and hotels.
Participation in conference calls outside of normal business hours will be required.
Travel, including international, to work at ISAC meetings will be required. Inclusion of weekends may be involved.
The International Society for Advancement of Cytometry (ISAC) is an international, interdisciplinary and innovative scientific organization with nearly 2,000 members who work around the world to advance the impact of cytometry in meeting current and emerging challenges in the life, biomedical and physical sciences. ISAC is in a strong period of growth and expansion and has just transitioned from being managed by an Association Management Company. The society will be a great place for an entrepreneurial individual to grow his or her career and make an impact around the world.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and a resume to ISAC at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title the email Director of Education.
Salary commensurate with experience.