Smithsonian Enterprises (SE), a division of the Smithsonian Institution, is seeking an experienced Accounting Manager to join the Finance and Accounting team in our Herndon, Virginia office. Reporting directly to the Controller/Assistant Controller, the Accounting Manager oversees day-to-day operations of general ledger accounts, ensures accuracy of financial statements, and is responsible for financial reporting for Media activities. Additionally, they will be responsible for managing Staff Accountants and Accounting Technicians, enforcing SE’s accounting procedures and internal controls, and will assist in deliverables for external/internal audits, and compliance reviews.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages daily accounting activities for general ledger accounting, including Cash Receipts, Fixed Assets, Accounts Receivable and Invoicing, and Bank and Credit Card Accounts.
- Analyzes accountants’ daily and monthly requirements and develops efficiencies in methods and procedures.
- Monitors the processes for month-end and year-end close and develops recommendations for improvement.
- Establishes, interprets and analyzes complex accounting records of financial statements.
- Reviews and approves journal entries and adjustments and assists in the monthly general ledger close.
- Responsible for the preparation of financial statements, and handles questions concerning financial results.
- Responsible for monthly reporting on Fixed Assets, Accounts Receivable, Balance Sheets and Out of Period Adjustment
- Responsible for the implementation plans and process for Accounting system upgrades, improvements and efficiencies for related areas
- Implements and maintains the automated fixed asset module of the Accounting software package for all business units
- Coordinates schedules and support for annual audit, and leads planning, coordination and implementation of audit findings and recommendations.
- Ensures company compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Responsible for hiring and training staff. Directly supervises and provides mid-year and annual evaluations for staff, including accountant and accounting technicians.
QUALIFICATIONS we seek:
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance and 8-10 years of experience in financial management. CPA, MBA, or CMA preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years management and supervisory experience including hiring and developing staff and conducting performance evaluations.
- Knowledge of general ledger accounting systems and GAAP.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong organizational, project management and leadership skills.
- Ability to apply a high level of independent judgment in the solution of financial problems and in the administration of a financial management program and to defend decisions.
- Ability to select, develop and supervise a subordinate staff and to maintain effective working relationships with subordinate staff and all levels of management.
- Expert user in Excel and Word and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications to perform analysis and generate reports.
- Expert user in financial systems and subsystems, preference with Lawson financial systems.
Salary: $85k - $100k, Commensurate with experience.
To apply, please forward resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to: email@example.com.
Please include job title in the subject line. Application materials received without salary information will not be considered.
We offer excellent benefit programs including Health, Dental and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Transit/Commuter Benefits, Annual and Sick Leave Accrual, Family Friendly Leave, 403b Retirement Program, Discounts for Smithsonian Memberships, Museum Stores and Restaurants, Flexible Spending Account (Health & Dependent Care)
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
Applicants, who wish to qualify based on education completed outside the United States, must be deemed equivalent to higher education programs of U.S. Institutions by an organization that specializes in the interpretation of foreign educational credentials. This documentation is the responsibility of the applicant and should be included as part of your application package.
Final candidate selection will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a pre-employment background check and subsequent background investigation. Employees are required to serve a one year probationary period and participate in Direct Deposit for salary payment.
EOE. No phone calls, please. Relocation expenses are not paid. This is not a Federal Service position. Applicants must U.S. employment eligible without sponsorship.
Apply for Accounting Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly