Occasional travel - Travel may be required to locations which typically do not have the same sanitary, healthcare, and environmental conditions that exist In most of the United States, and some locations require special precautions regarding food and water consumption and personal safety.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement.
If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
Applicants applying as Architects must show that they possess a professional knowledge of architecture as evidenced by one of the following:
A. Degree: architecture; or related field that included 60 semester hours of course work in architecture or related disciplines of which at least (1) 30 semester hours were in architectural design, and (2) 6 semester hours were in each of the following: structural technology, properties of materials and methods of construction, and environmental control systems.
B. Combination of education and experience--college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the arts and sciences underlying professional architecture, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the architectural principles, methods, and techniques and their applications to the design and construction or improvement of buildings. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by at least ONE of the following:
- Related Curriculum: Degree in architectural engineering may be accepted as satisfying in full the basic requirements, provided the completed course work in architectural engineering provided knowledge, skills, and abilities substantially equivalent to those provided in the courses specified in paragraph A. The curriculum for a degree in either architecture or architectural engineering covers function, esthetics, site, structure, economics, mechanical-electrical, and other engineering problems related to the design and construction of buildings primarily (but not exclusively) intended to house human activities. The courses required for a degree in architecture generally place emphasis upon planning, esthetics, and materials and methods of construction, while the courses for an architectural engineering degree place equal or greater weight on the technical engineering aspects such as structural systems, mechanical systems, and the properties of materials. Because of this difference in emphasis, persons with degrees in architecture may have a preference for work assignments that offer greater opportunities for them to express their artistic and creative abilities. As a result, they may be more concerned with planning and design aspects of architecture, and persons with degrees in architectural engineering may be more engaged in aspects emphasizing technical engineering considerations.
- Experience: An applicant lacking a degree in architecture must have had l year of experience in an architect's office or in architectural work for each year short of graduation from a program of study in architecture. In the absence of college courses, 5 years of such experience is required. This experience must have demonstrated that the applicant has acquired a thorough knowledge of the fundamental principles and theories of professional architecture.
Non-qualifying Experience: The following kinds of experience are NOT acceptable as professional architectural experience:
- Professional landscape architecture work consisting mainly of the layout, design, construction, or maintenance of land areas and landscape features, including ground and water forms, vegetation, roads, walks, incidental structures, and other landscape features;
- Experience in the application of artistic embellishment to practical design such as the decoration of interiors, including the construction, layout, and selection of furniture and furnishings that do not alter the basic architectural design of the interior; and
- City and community planning work that relates to the broad social and economic growth and development of such community services and facilities as industry, commerce, transportation, streets,
utilities, and parks.
If you are applying for the GS-11: IN ADDITION to meeting one of the basic entry qualifications requirements listed above, the applicant MUST also meet one of the requirements listed below:
Have at least 1 full year of specialized architectural experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience is related to the work of the position and equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal service.
Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience assisting a contracting official in determining the lowest technically acceptable price, or best value, based on a price proposal analysis.
- Experience preparing cost estimates for construction projects.
- Experience analyzing contractor proposal prices and preparing proposal price technical reports.
Registered to practice architecture by one of the State registration boards, using standards in compliance with the basic minimum provisions recommended by the National Council of
Architectural Registration Boards.
Have 3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited college or university. This
education demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities to do the work of the position to be filled.
Have a combination of graduate level education and specialized architectural experience which is equivalent to the work of the position and equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service. This education and experience meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
If you are applying for the GS-12: IN ADDITION to meeting one of the basic qualifications requirements listed above, the applicant MUST have at least 1 full year of specialized architectural experience that has equipped them with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience is related to the work of the position and equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service.
Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience preparing cost and/or technical reports and briefings to facilitate management personnel in decision making process.
- Experience developing and reviewing cost estimates for major building construction projects and renovations using industry standard techniques, such as parametric cost modeling and detailed quantity takeoffs.
- Experience conducting risk analyses for construction cost estimates.
Note: All applicants MUST submit transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested
information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you WILL lose consideration for this position.
See the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement for education requirements, if applicable.
For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or ReasonableAccommodations@state.gov.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection procedures. Based on your responses to the job-specific self-assessment questions, eligible candidates are placed for selection consideration into one of three pre-defined quality categories as described below:
Highly-qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications for the position, candidates must fully demonstrate proficiency in all major aspects of the position.
Well Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, candidates must demonstrate proficiency in some, but not all of the major aspects of the position.
Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, applicants must demonstrate a basic level of knowledge, skill and ability of the position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
- Skill in applying principles, methods, and/or tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, monitoring, evaluating, and managing projects and resources, including technical performance.
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles, and theories of engineering and their practical applications.
- Knowledge of various types of contracts, techniques for contracting or procurement, and contract negotiation and administration.
- Skill in preparing, justifying, and/or administering the budget for program areas, to include monitoring expenditures to ensure cost effective support of programs and policies.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each pre-defined quality category. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent (i.e., CPS and CP) must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position to receive consideration for special priority.
Applicants must meet all the qualification requirements and submit any required supporting documentation by the closing date of this announcement. Applicants found to be among the top qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret Drug test required No