APPLICATIONS TEAM TECHNICAL MANAGER
Are you a customer service oriented technology manager with a background in design, development, and production support of custom developed applications? The Department of Human Services (DHS) is seeking a hands-on technical leader to provide day-to-day guidance, performance management, and mentoring for the Applications Development Team which includes three developers, a database analyst, and a systems analyst.
DHS has over 700 staff providing services to the community in programs for aging and disability, children and families, housing, public health, mental health, and substance abuse. This position is part of the Information Systems Bureau in DHS which is comprised of seventeen staff who manage many applications to support these programs. The Applications Development Team of five technical staff managed by this position holds primary responsibility for custom-built, complex applications that manage client and financial information including HIPPA compliance, key financial operations, reporting, and integration with various local, state, and federal systems. The Application Team Technical Manager will lead business requirements gathering and analysis, review systems architecture and design against business requirements and goals, and gain business partnership agreements to move forward.
Representative projects include:
- Automating the purchase of services for foster children;
- Updating state reporting for reimbursements of service several million dollars annually for services for at-risk youth and their families; and
- Creating new tools and perspectives on the DHS model for integrated services.
- Establish and maintain industry best practices for all areas of software development and support, assuring products delivered to the business are appropriately secure, usable, scalable, extensible, and reliable;
- Create a climate of continuous learning and development for team members;
- Develop and execute strategies for the sustainability of the team and services to ensure the optimal use of staff and contract resources as well as succession planning;
- Manage daily operations and support; provide prompt resolution of all user issues affecting production; (including critical processes with time sensitive deadlines);
- Manage software patches and upgrades, scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, testing, performance monitoring and tuning, documentation, integration with other systems, etc;
- Coordinate Windows OS, MS SQL, hardware and virtualized machine upgrades with the Department of Technology Services for all DHS related systems;
- Plan and prioritize application change / enhancement requests to best meet DHS goals;
- Develop project plans that communicate objectives, deadlines, and costs to line of business, technical staff, and third parties (other IT support, vendors);
- Utilize work breakdown structures to coordinate tasks across application team members, contractors, business partners, and other project participants;
- Manage the triple constraints of time, cost, and scope for the team (across multiple projects, divisions, and priorities);
- Develop and apply functional knowledge of DHS client service delivery;
- Custom and commercial off the shelf (COTS) applications vary in size, scope, and complexity and primarily utilize Microsoft .NET and MS SQL Server technologies in physical and virtualized machine (VM) environments;
- Other technologies and tools include MS SSIS, MS SSRS, Visual Studio, C#, PHP, and TortoiseSVN and GIT for source control; and
- Key knowledge areas also include SQL Server and job scheduling (ActiveBatch).
- Proven ability to both develop functional/business requirements and turn them into technical options and solution designs/architectures;
- Strong project and task management skills;
- Effective oral and written communication skills to engage, influence and articulate technical business issues and solutions to a variety of stakeholders;
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills within functional and technical areas;
- Effective people management and hands-on technical skills demonstrating the ability to lead a team of specialists utilizing best practices in application management and support services;
- Proven ability to interpret functional/business requirements into technical options and solution designs/architectures, as well as timelines and costs for implementation, including deployment recommendations.
- Bachelor's degree in software engineering, computer science, information systems or related field;
- Substantial (at least two years) experience as a technical practitioner (software and database development) in custom software development in a .NET (desired) and SQL Server (required) environment;
- At least 3 years of technical team leadership including experience translating functional requirements into technical options and implementations;
- Significant project management experience through the systems development lifecycle;
- Demonstrated knowledge of change management and support of a major application in production, including job scheduling and operational alerts.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Functional experience in automating financial processes and systems.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must provide or authorize Arlington County to obtain a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent on a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
A pre-employment criminal records check will be conducted. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Must complete pre-hire federal background check and State of Virginia Central Registry check.
Work hours: Monday - Friday with some flexibility and teleworking as agreed upon with the supervisor.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process. Please do not enter "see resume" as a response to the questions. Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.