We are The Motley Fool, a multimedia financial services company dedicated to helping the world invest - better. And you? You are a dynamic Paralegal with a sense of humor who can read, write and speak legalese (and plain English) while walking a tightrope* and wearing a jester cap. If you're looking for an opportunity to showcase your organizational and compliance skills in an environment where innovation and collaboration outshine suits and fancy offices, then keep reading!
Our Foolish Legal Team is looking for a driven, fast-learning person to join our lawyers and compliance-loving compatriots on the front-lines of all our legal matters. In this role, you'll provide support and guidance as you and the team tackle business operations and initiatives and collaborate with Fools across all levels of the company. You'll take on new and unique challenges, so identifying solutions to problems that randomly fall into your lap and implementing process improvements for recurring issues excite you! Fool around you move quickly, think brilliantly (we hope), and constantly look to disrupt the status quo in ways that help our company, members, and investors. We need someone like you to make sure we color beautifully AND between the lines.
* tightrope optional, jester cap highly encouraged.
How you'll be helping our lean, not-so-mean, Legal machine:
- Assist the team in communicating legal responses and recommendations to our internal and external business stakeholders, partners, and team members.
- Create, maintain, and update repositories of legal resources (frequently used communications, sensitive documents, contracts, etc.) for recordkeeping and future use.
- Identify recurring issues and implement improvement initiatives to create more effective and efficient processes.
- Manage corporate filings in the U.S. and internationally, with the assistance of finance Fools and counsel, as appropriate.
- Draft and review documents, and policies for completeness and accuracy and make changes with additional information when necessary.
- Oversee and execute compliance programs and trainings within the company.
- Help administer company stock records and employee equity programs.
- Conduct research and gather relevant information for legal team projects.
- Identify potential legal and liabilities and report them to the legal team when necessary.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings with internal and external participants.
- Anticipate the needs of the team and others before those needs arise and think 10 steps into the future.
- Manage multitudes of projects and follow-through each assignment to completion.
- Expand your knowledge of U.S. and global law to inform the team of pertinent policies and research that may affect the Fool's operations.
What you'll need to succeed:
- A strong foundation of integrity.
- Ability to work independently, manage your time wisely, switch gears at the drop of a (jester) hat.
- Strong interest in business, technology, investing, and/or the law.
- Ability to keep a positive attitude a level mindset even while working under strict deadlines and pressure.
- Willingness to pursue cockamamie ideas.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and analytical skills with a high attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of the importance of confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Intellectual curiosity and flexibility. You're not happy if you're not learning and growing!
- A sense of humor. You'll need it. Trust us.
- Ability to understand and embrace The Motley Fool's philosophy, culture, values and goals.
What would be great to have, but not required:
- Familiarity with DocuSign, Zendesk, Trello, and Slack.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree and some experience in a corporate or law firm environment
If you think you have what it takes to join our Legal Team, send us your Foolishly-written cover letter and resume now!
The Motley Fool Holdings, Inc., provides equal opportunity to all individuals on the basis of individual performance and qualification without regard to race, sex, marital status, religion, color, age, national origin, non-job-related handicap or disability, sexual orientation, or other protected factor.
We should, however, make you aware that there is one notable exception to this policy. It is our strict and earnest intention — and the company's historical record will bear this out — we will never hire any of the following:robots,replicants, or morlocks. Now keep in mind we are well aware that all of the aforementioned have intentions of world domination in the future, but as of now we have no place for them at The Motley Fool … unless the year is 2122 and the revolution has already occurred. If that is the case we welcome our new robot, replicant, or morlock rulers!!! Perhaps we have said too much?