Senior Internal Auditor
Job Function: Washington DC
Location: Washington, DC
Senior Internal Auditor
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Senior Internal Auditor to conduct internal audits of NDI field offices, approximately 10-12 field office audits per year, with each audit requiring on average one week of travel. Based on findings and other observations, this role will make recommendations to and work with Management to strengthen financial and operational internal controls. This position will draft and present audit findings and recommendations to Management and the NDI Audit and Risk Management Committee. This position does not have direct reports.
- Conduct field office audits (based on the approve audit schedule) and prepare a comprehensive report for each audit, and in consultation with the Director, make preliminary recommendations to the field office; follow-up on audit recommendations and the implementation of action plans on a regular basis
- Ensure that effective internal control systems, including adequate policies and procedures, are in place at the field offices
- Partner with all levels of management to ensure that audits are conducted in a cooperative, timely and efficient manner
- Assist in preparing a comprehensive risk profile semi-annually for assigned field offices and develop an audit schedule for future visits
- Prepare a scope of work for each internal audit visit, based on a review of financial records and on inquiries with DC-based regional and administrative teams
- Present and discuss report observations, findings, recommendations and action plans to applicable regional and/or field management
- In collaboration with Director, present summary trends and audit results to the Audit & Risk Management Committee
- Assist the Director of Internal Audit in raising the awareness of the Internal Audit function and internal controls by participating in team meetings, trainings, and sharing best practices; contribute to the preparation of institute-wide Internal Audit semi-annual newsletter, which highlights results of recent audits and areas for improvement
- Identify training needs for field accounting staff and conduct training, if necessary
- Make recommendations on how to improve the existing financial and operational internal control procedures of NDI
- Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration required; or a combination of experience and education can be used in lieu of degree
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant work experience in overseas accounting or audit and operational experience in developing countries
- Effective written and oral communication skills in English, including active listening skills and experience in presenting findings and recommendations to a broad range of individuals
- Experience drafting and preparing workpapers, reports, memos, summaries, and data analysis including providing recommendations and contributing to policies
- Good skills in negotiating issues and resolving problems
- Ability to work and think independently with strong analytical skills
- Ability to evaluate information to determine compliance with established standards
- Ability to effectively multitask multiple projects
- CIA and or CFE certification
- Arabic / French / Spanish language skills
- Knowledge of OMB Uniform Guidance, USAID and the Department of State rules and regulations
- Comprehensive knowledge and ability to utilize Microsoft Office Tools (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a 40 hour per week full-time position. Core hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m however there may be flexibility on start and end time depending on department needs. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
There is international travel associated with this role of 20-25% annually. There may be local travel depending on events and donor activities.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/89ns7q8d8765gjfk