Housekeeping and Apparel Worker I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Starting in the upper 20s, commensurate with education and experience
Web Announcement :
George Mason University, Housing and Residence Life (HRL) invites applicants for a Housekeeper opening. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Housing and Residence Life is an auxiliary organization within the University Life unit of George Mason University. HRL employs over 170 full-time and graduate staff members and over 350 undergraduate student staff members, and is committed to provide a safe, well-maintained student-centered environment that is innovative and inclusive of the global community. It is dedicated to creating a home that enriches the experiences of our students, staff, and faculty.
Responsibilities: The Housekeeper, with supervision, performs general custodial services as directed. Partial listing of duties include (a complete work profile will be provided to applicants selected for interview):
- Cleans, vacuums, and mops common areas, hallways, and stairwells;
- Cleans laundry rooms to include, but limited to mopping floors and wiping down machines in residential facilities, both inside and outside;
- Cleans bathrooms;
- Shampoos carpets;
- Strips, waxes, and buffs floors;
- Cleans student rooms during building transitions;
- Makes minor repairs to student room furniture;
- Installs window treatments, as directed, and replaces light bulbs;
- Cleans selected offices and classrooms;
- During performance of duties, note and report items to supervisor requiring repair of any suspicious or unlawful items around the facility;
- Pick-up and disposal of trash from residential buildings;
- Loads and unloads furniture and other materials and transports to designated locations;
- Is considered an essential employee for HRL in regards to severe weather;
- Is required to work on a rotating basis to ensure evening and weekend coverage;
- Is subject to recall after hours in the event of campus emergencies, disasters or other special needs as directed by management;
- Reports all matters of safety to the appropriate supervisor;
- Communicates to Lead Housekeeper the need for additional cleaning supplies to maintain the appropriate level in respective housekeeping closets;
- Performs snow and ice removal as directed;
- Picks up and makes deliveries of supplies;
- Maintains acceptable attendance record and punctuality, and meets deadlines;
- Promptly reports accidents on the job, preparing and submitting accident reports; and
- When instructed, attends and participates effectively in training sessions and meetings. Required Qualifications:
- High school education and related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired;
- Ability to read and understand safety procedures, and read and follow cleaning instructions and schedules;
- Ability to practice effective oral communication skills with students, faculty, and staff;
- Ability to read, understand and abide by all safety policies and procedures;
- General knowledge of cleaning terms and safety procedures related to hazardous cleaning chemicals;
- Must have the ability to work independently, without close supervision;
- Ability to remain calm during stress periods; and
- Because of the nature of this position and frequent verbal contact, candidates should have a proper command of the English language. Physical Requirements:
- Ability to frequently perform work involving safely and independently moving between 20 and 40 pounds;
- Talking, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, walking, lifting, pushing, pulling, fingering and grasping, close visual acuity; and
- Ability to withstand both environmental conditions (activities occur inside and outside) and hazards. Preferred Qualifications:
- Preference provided for candidates with prior residential university, hotel or multi-residential community housekeeping experience;
- Bilingual abilities (English/Spanish);
- Experience in the use of mechanical cleaning equipment; and
- A valid driverâ€™s license with a good driving record and insurable.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09484z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter (optional), resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :