American Bird Conservancy
Title: Development Officer
Supervisor: Vice President of Development
Location: Washington, DC or The Plains, VA
Submission Deadline: September 21, 2018
This is a full-time position with American Bird Conservancy (ABC) in either Washington, DC or The Plains, Virginia. American Bird Conservancy is a results-focused wildlife non-profit seeking employees with an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to make a difference for birds throughout the Americas.
The ABC Development Officer serves as a lead fundraiser for discrete ABC programs. In addition, fundraisers at ABC are integral members of conservation teams, and provide input into conservation project planning and implementation. The Development Officer will have regular contact with ABC Board members, field staff, members, and potential donors. This position requires excellent organizational and writing skills, initiative, flexibility, and accuracy. The Development Officer will come to possess a broad knowledge of ABC’s mission, objectives, and programs. Finally, this particular position will take on the additional responsibility of assisting the Vice President of Development with tracking, recording data, updating records, and keeping track of tasks across multiple programs.
In its twenty years of operation, ABC has collaborated with hundreds of organizations to plant more than 3.5 million trees to restore habitat for birds, protect more than 990,000 acres, create 65 international bird reserves, and protect threatened bird species across the entire U.S. landscape by taking on the most dangerous threats to birds.
- Personally solicit donations, both through written proposals and in-person meetings with donors and prospects.
- Lead and coordinate fundraising efforts to meet or exceed annual and long-term fundraising goals.
- Identify and cultivate new donors.
- Develop and submit well-written proposals and reports.
- Help maintain program budgets in coordination with the Finance Division.
- Provide input into conservation planning and project implementation, and attend weekly program division meetings.
- Develop and coordinate fundraising appointments, dinners, events, and field trips.
- Keep Board members and major donors informed of ABC programs and needs through regular updates, special appeals, field trips, donor events, and special publications.
- Maintaining donor tracking systems and provide reminders to program staff of upcoming deadlines and donor-anticipated products.
- Assist with projects as requested by President or Vice President of Development, including arranging meetings, recording data, updating records, and keeping track of tasks across multiple programs.
- Passionate about wildlife conservation.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years’ experience in fundraising, communications, marketing, or related work, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and successful experience managing complex activities.
- Extremely detail-oriented and diligent.
- Outgoing and flexible personality
- Entrepreneurial outlook
- Ability and willingness to contact donors.
- Proficiency with computers and software, including Excel. Proficiency with Salesforce helpful.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and accurately, while maintaining deadlines.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people at all levels. Sense of humor.
- Willingness to travel nationally.
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends.
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
- Proficiency in graphic design a plus.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of donor information.
- Must be authorized to work in the US.
Please submit your resume and cover letter online at BambooHR:
If you experience technical difficulties, please send your informa