Archive Software and Science Manager
5 days left
- Full Time
Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is seeking an Archive Software and Science Manager. Bring your passion for what you do as a leader supporting data and services for the Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes (MAST) in the Archive Sciences Branch. MAST is a multi-petabyte astronomical data archive that maintains Hubble, Kepler, GALEX, the future Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) and James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) mission data. This team of 30 software engineers, database engineers, test engineers, and astronomers provides a number of services related to data archive such as curation, documentation, access, search, retrieval and analysis. You will work with a team that is passionate about the work they do in support of astronomers around the world. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package, tuition reimbursement and a stimulating and diverse work environment. We are located in Baltimore, MD.
Your Role and Responsibilities:
Our software applications include rich search interfaces, web-based visualization tools, and data APIs. MAST is recognized as providing first-class support for its users and science teams and as such, an ability to communicate clearly and professionally with our community is a requirement. Your job will be to lead the design and implement of services that support the data archive of today and help shape future innovations that will allow MAST to continue to be the premier archive for data-driven astronomy in the 21st century.
- Evolve the archives to meet future data needs of the astronomical community
- Translate scientific needs into software backlogs
- Manage software engineers working in an agile environment
- Provide project management including coordination, detail planning, direction, …
- Provide functional management including recruitment, mentorship, training …
- Establish goals and track expected results to closure
- Develop, maintain and support continuous improvement activities
- Coordinating with other groups both within and outside STScI
Minimum Job Requirements and Your Qualifications:
We invite you to apply if you have a BS or BA degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Astronomy, Physics, or a related scientific or technical field and 10+ years of progressive and dynamic technical, management (staff and administrative) and leadership experience including large team leadership. Other qualifications include:
- Proven very effective communication skills
- Proven experience effectively managing staff while developing and supporting a large complex system
- Software engineering experience including agile techniques
- Experience working within an environment that supports a science community
- Deep understanding and history of promoting automated testing
- Good working knowledge of code versioning tools such as Git, etc.
- Experience with data models and web APIs
- Proven project management experience
- US citizen or Permanent Resident is required
- Familiarity with Web Services (RESTful APIs, SOAP etc.)
- Experience with large data sets and databases
- Experience of working to accessibility and security compliance standards
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD)
- Experience of designing high-availability web applications
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with Jupyter Notebooks
Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for the stated qualifications may be considered. The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience.
TO APPLY: You are requested to complete an on-line application through our website at: www.stsci.edu/opportunities. Please include #02892 in the file name.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V Voted to the Baltimore