TRANSPORTATION CAPITAL PROJECTS PROGRAM MANAGER
Arlington County is seeking an innovative and strategic leader to serve as the Transportation Capital Projects Program Manager to oversee the implementation of its multi-million dollar Complete Streets Program. This senior manager plays a leadership role in multi-year capital improvement priority-setting, budgeting, scheduling, cost estimating, design, project and construction management, public engagement and constituent response. This position interacts with County staff, elected officials, private developers and federal, state, and regional funding agencies and community groups on the implementation of a broad array of transportation projects.
Arlington's currently adopted 10-year Capital Improvement Program includes over $ 500 million in transportation project investments ranging from major commercial corridor improvements (Crystal City Street Improvements, Rosslyn-Ballston Arterial Street Improvements, Columbia Pike Streets) to Walk and Bike Arlington projects organized under a Complete Streets framework. This employee works with considerable independence under the general direction of the Division of Transportation (DOT) Transportation Planning & Capital Projects Management Bureau Chief. For more information on the Department of Environmental Services and Transportation visit https://transportation.arlingtonva.us/.
Specific Duties Include:
- Developing the Transportation Capital Program for Complete Streets within the context of Arlington County's Capital Improvement Program, and the Master Transportation Plan;
- Leading in the planning and implementation of the Transportation Capital Program and the overall management of multi modal capital funds, including Federal, State and Regional grants, Bonds and other CIP funds;
- Partnering with the following internal departments and divisions; Community Planning Housing and Development (CPHD), Arlington Economic Development (AED), Engineering Bureau, Transportation Engineering and Operations (TE&O) and others to coordinate and implement;
- Managing the delivery of transportation capital projects by defining the project scope, overseeing the scoping, design and construction phases, budgeting, cost estimating and scheduling of work;
- Managing professional staff and contractors within the transportation capital program while providing program oversight and support to transportation project managers and engineers;
- Building a sustainable and effective Capital Projects Management Section that encourages collaboration and teamwork, open communication, individual development, efficient stewardship of resources and the highest quality project delivery;
- Developing and managing the funding plan for transportation capital projects;
- Coordinating transportation capital project delivery with Arlington's Engineering Bureau;
- Building cooperative relationships with regional and state partners, especially the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), to improve processes and communication to advocate for Arlington's interests.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Engineering, Construction Management, or related discipline, plus progressively responsible experience in transportation planning, design, and/or construction management with senior level project management experience managing teams responsible for complex transportation infrastructure projects.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable Qualifications: The preferred candidate will also have:
- A Master's Degree in Urban Planning, Engineering, Construction Management, or related discipline and experience managing capital budgets and real estate acquisitions and leveraging technology and tools to support project management efforts.
A comprehensive reference, background, and credit check may be conducted for the top candidates. Pursuant to Section 27-9 of the Arlington County code, this position requires the completion of "Statement of Economic Interest" (Financial Disclosure) form upon acceptance of employment and annually thereafter.
Starting salary will depend upon the qualifications and experience of the candidate selected. This position is in the Arlington County Government's Extended Management Accountability Program (XMAP), in which Senior Executives are eligible for a negotiated salary/benefits package and are evaluated and compensated per a performance agreement linked to the County Management Plan, and results achieved. XMAP is a flexible total rewards/compensation system directly linked to performance and the market.
Note: Salary listed above is for fiscal year 2019, effective July 1, 2018.
Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Note: This recruitment is open until the position is filled, interested applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Qualified applicants in this first group will be referred to the hiring manager and interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when enough qualified applications have been received.