Accounts Payable Clerk
Capitol Boiler Works, Inc. is a well-established regional company serving Maryland, Virginia, D.C., Richmond, and parts of West Virginia and Delaware. Our primary focus is commercial and industrial customers, with a specialty in property management companies. Capitol Boiler Works is a privately held company based in Springfield Virginia, serving the Region since 1936.
We are currently seeking the right individual to fill a full-time opening for an Accounts Payable Clerk in our Springfield, VA location. The right candidate will be a detail-oriented Accounts Payable professional who has experience working with purchase orders, high level of invoices, and vendor management.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Ensures that accounting functions are completed in accordance with established policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Assumes responsibility for the accurate and timely performance of accounts payable functions.
- Reviews source documents and matches purchase orders, invoices, and receiving documents.
- Codes invoices to appropriate general ledger accounts.
- Determines optimum payment dates and takes advantage of all discounts on invoices.
- Reviews invoices to ensure they are correctly coded, properly authorized, and there are no overpayments or repeat payments.
- Ensures that approval authority is in accordance with purchasing policies.
- Processes payments and obtains authorized signatures.
- Compiles expense reports.
- Assumes responsibility for effectively researching, tracking, and resolving (or properly referring) accounting or documentation problems and discrepancies.
- Handles licensing and vendor certificates of insurance.
- Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective business relations with outside vendors and contacts.
- Responds to questions politely and promptly. Obtains and conveys information as appropriate.
- Works to maintain positive relations with vendors and contacts.
- Ensures that the Company’s professional reputation is maintained.
- Maintains appropriate levels of confidentiality regarding Company accounting records.
- Assumes responsibility for establishing and maintaining effective communication and coordination with area personnel and management.
- Completes accounting reports, records, and other documentation in accordance with established deadlines.
- Provides support to area personnel as required.
- Coordinates activities with Fulfillment personnel to check shipping data and ensure accuracy.
- Keeps management informed of area activities and of any significant problems.
- Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Ensures that work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Updates accounting skills as required.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
Key Qualifications the Accounts Payable Clerk will need to meet:
- Minimum of 3 years Accounts Payable experience or an A.A.S. Accounting degree with 1 year Accounts Payable experience.
- Experience in with 1099s, and general ledger
- Office Suite experience with an emphasis on Excel
- TMS Software experience is highly desired
- Positive, team oriented attitude