Attorney Honors Program, Law Clerk/Attorney, GS-0904/0905-11/12 (KD-Exc Svc)
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
--A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
--Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
Eligibility Requirements: This program is available to recent law students who: (1) Will graduate between May 2018 and May 2019; or (2) Are current Judicial Law Clerks whose clerkship will conclude prior to October 1, 2019.
Applicants should possess significant academic achievement (i.e., a GPA of 3.5 or higher) and/or legal or programmatic work experience as described in at least one of the areas below:
- --Graduated with academic honors.
- --High Academic Achievement (graduated top 25% of class)
- --Law journal or other relevant writing experience
- --Moot court competition, legal aid, or legal clinic experience
- --Judicial Law Clerk experience
- --Significant summer law office clerk experience.
- --Natural Resources, Indian or Environmental law interest as demonstrated by course work, published legal writing, professional experiences, etc.
Honors Program selectees are required to pass a Bar examination and be duly licensed to practice as an attorney in any state, territory, or the District of Columbia within 14 months of original appointment under this Program.
Individuals selected for this Honors Program are expected to begin working October 2019 in Washington D.C., and must sign an employment agreement committing to remain with the Office of the Solicitor for a minimum of three years from the date of his/her original appointment.
- --Law School graduates not yet admitted to the Bar as of September 30, 2019, will be placed in Law Clerk positions at the GS-11 level pending admission to the Bar, at which time they will be eligible for conversion to an Attorney position.
- --Law School graduates who have been admitted to the Bar will be placed in Attorney positions at the GS-11 level.
- --Law School graduates who have been admitted to the Bar and have completed 1 year of legal experience (may include a Judicial Clerkship) will be placed in Attorney positions at the GS-12 level.
While tentative offers to the DOI Solicitor's Honors Program will be made well in advance of the October 2019 start date, final confirmation of appointment is contingent upon the availability of funds at that time.
Law Clerk, GS-11:
- --graduated from law school with a LL.B. or J.D.; OR
- --will graduate from law school with a LL.B or J.D between May 2018 and May 2019.
- --graduated from law school with a LL.B. or J.D. and have been admitted to the Bar.
- --graduated from law school with an LL.B. or J.D., been admitted to the Bar, and completed 1 year of legal experience (may include a Judicial Clerkship).
--You are required to provide a law school transcripts (unofficial) which includes semester hours earned and grades received, by the closing date of this announcement. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Required Documents" and/or "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If you are currently employed by the Federal government in the same occupational series as the advertised position, you are not required to submit transcripts at this time.
--Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
--Identification of promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. Promotion will depend upon administrative approval and the continuing need for and performance of higher-level duties.
--The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
--DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
--THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The information and materials you provide will be used to evaluate that you meet the basic qualification and eligibility requirements for this position. A panel of attorneys will review the applications and identify applicants for interviews.
Basis of Rating for Attorney Positions: If you qualify for an Attorney position, you will not be rated or ranked. All applicants that meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements of the position will be referred for consideration.
Basis of Rating for Law Clerk Positions: If you have not passed the bar, therefore qualifying as a Law Clerk, you will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements, your on-line responses to the application questions will determine your placement in the appropriate quality group (i.e., Best Qualified or Qualified). These responses must be substantiated by the resume. Veterans’ preference rules apply.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No