Assistant Director, Office of Special Events
The Assistant Director of Special Events (AD) will manage a large and diverse portfolio of high-level donor, Presidential and university-wide events. The AD will independently conceptualize and execute events including determining event objectives, managing event budgets, vendor selection and negotiation, programming, marketing collateral, on-site management, event follow up, and evaluation. The Assistant Director will be adept and produce multiple events simultaneously. The AD will be knowledgeable and have an understanding of meeting and event planning principles, requirements, procedures, and available resources.
The Assistant Director will provide a high level of customer service to establish effective communication channels, and act as a liaison with external constituents such as current donors, prospective donors and internal constituents such as University Relations staff, the University President’s Office, as well as numerous other campus and non-campus constituencies. S/he must have strong interpersonal and communications skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse campus community. The Assistant Director must be able to lead staff and volunteers.
The Assistant Director must be highly skilled in organizing resources and establishing priorities, and have the ability to develop, plan, and implement short and long-range goals. Additionally, s/he must possess the ability to make procedural decisions and judgments, perform complex tasks, and to prioritize multiple projects.
The Assistant Director will need to be available to assist in numerous evening and weekend events and may be asked to travel 10% of the time.
Education (include licenses, certifications, etc.):
Bachelor’s degree required.
• A minimum of 5 years of full-time event management experience.
• Experience independently planning, managing and administering thematic and logistical details of a wide array of special events from conceptualization to execution.
• Experience in working effectively with high level individuals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community are necessary.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service, initiate and maintain professional relationships
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Exceptional attention to detail.
• Experience in meeting tight deadlines, juggling multiple responsibilities, and producing high volume of work.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, with advanced knowledge of Excel spreadsheet applications.