Legal Project Specialist
Legal Project Specialist
Office of Legal Affairs
Regular, Exempt, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 1.3
University of Maryland University College seeks a Legal Project Specialist, reporting to the Associate VP & Deputy General Counsel.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Manage requests for legal advice by performing preliminary review of request, assessing resourcing needs, assigning tasks, logging deadlines, and triggering established workflows or creating project-specific workflows.
- Arrange kick-off meetings and send communications to ensure that attorneys are adequately briefed on assignments and stakeholder expectations, all information needed to provide legal advice is gathered, appropriate communication channels and resources are established and internal and external stakeholders are informed of progress.
- Communicate formally and informally through existing channels to stakeholders and manage stakeholder relationships and expectations.
- Develop, maintain, and manage detailed project plans, action item registers, and major milestone timelines for all assigned projects.
- For more complex projects, develop timetables to track milestones, deliverables and dependencies, and produce periodic reports to provide status internally and externally.
- Use formal processes and tools to manage resources and changes and recommend new process and tools to achieve advanced project management.
- Proactively identify any risks and issues that arise, provide options for their mitigation or resolution and take or coordinate the appropriate responsive actions
- Ensure projects are delivered on-time to meet stakeholder expectations.
- Develop the appropriate operating models and capabilities to improve practice efficiency and stakeholder services.
- Work with attorneys and support staff to ensure that matters are adequately and appropriately resourced.
- Arrange post-assignment reviews and lessons learned exercises.
- Create and manage templates for policies, procedures, contracts, trademarks, copyrights, state authorization, subpoenas, PIA requests, grievances, complaints, litigation holds, discovery etc.
- Track legislative, regulatory and case law developments and inform attorneys of changes to the law or higher ed industry arise.
- Track and monitor filing dates for administrative agency complaints, litigation, audits, internal complaints, subpoenas, reporting requirements, FERPA requests, and PIA requests.
- Manage policy and procedure tracking database; manage and facilitate policy review, development, and archiving process; route policies and procedures for review and approval; track and monitor development of implementation plans.
- Manage contract tracking database and manage and maintain contract versions, templated contract provisions, renewals and expirations.
- Assist in responding to subpoenas, PIA requests, and FERPA requests.
- Other job duties, as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus five (5) years of relevant experience.
- Documented project management experience; Strong analytical skills; Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate detailed and complex information to others; Aptitude and willingness to work with complex procedures; Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and others; Demonstrated strong attention to detail; Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner; Willingness to support attorneys; and Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and effectively build working relationships.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.