The Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. is seeking to hire a(n) Driver.
Position title: Driver
Section: Permanent Mission of Canada to the Organization of American States (PRMOAS)
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-310599
Starting salary: $17.24/hour USD plus benefits
Competition no: 2556
Date posted: 08/14/2018
Closing date: 08/28/2018 6:00 PM EST.
Employment Tenure: Indeterminate
This staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and similar positions with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/ transfer, and acting opportunities at the Embassy.
CANDIDATES CAN ONLY APPLY VIA THE LINK BELOW:
- Persons living in the greater Washington Metropolitan area.
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, DC.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Embassy of Canada.
All applicants must:
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Reside in the United States.
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Submit resumes and cover letters by the closing date. The covering letter must:
- Demonstrate how you meet the essential requirements under language, education and experience;
- Confirm residency in the United States;
- Confirm independent work authorization in the United States.
Note: Failure to provide any of the information required above will result in your application being rejected. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
Under the direction of the Transport Supervisor, the incumbent drives an official vehicle in the pooled category, transporting authorized passengers, as well as delivering and collecting items of material. The incumbent ensures the proper maintenance and operation of the vehicle; maintains vehicle log and records; and performs other duties as assigned. The incumbent may also be required to act as chauffeur for executive management (Ambassador/Deputy Head of Mission) at the Embassy.
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with U.S. protocol directives for foreign missions.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
English (The ability to work in French would be an asset.)
Successful completion of Secondary School. A certificate in Defensive Driver Training would be an asset.
- Extensive experience as a driver for an Embassy, Consulate, government department/agency, livery service or large firm;
- Experience performing basic car maintenance, e.g., changing a flat tire, checking and topping up oil/fluids;
- Experience providing administrative support tasks, such as record keeping, data entry, and courier support; and
- Experience using MS Office Suite, e.g., Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of a motor vehicle and its operation;
- Knowledge of basic car mechanics and routine car care;
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, and Internet Explorer;
- Familiarity with local Metropolitan area and the surrounding areas; and
- Excellent knowledge of street routes and traffic patterns in the local metro area.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Operate assigned vehicle in a safe and courteous manner and keep the car tidy at all times;
- Perform basic car maintenance, e.g., change flat tire, replace broken wiper blade, and check oil/fluids;
- Plan and organize regularly scheduled maintenance of assigned vehicle;
- Provide excellent client service, maintaining composure when dealing with unusual situations or difficult clients;
- Assess situations that may involve a security or safety issue and initiate appropriate response;
- Demonstrate attention to details, including documentation and record-keeping;
- Provide courier services by delivering and collecting items or materials; and
- Use GPS, navigations, and related technology systems.
- Ability to safely move boxes or suitcases, which weigh up to 50 lbs (22kg) in/out of the car.
- Effective interpersonal skills;
- Tactful and Diplomatic;
- Punctual/Dependable; and
- Adaptable and flexible.
- The ability to work in French and/or Spanish would be an asset
- Successful completion of a driver/security training course, e.g., defensive driving training.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Failure to meet any of the essential requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant's knowledge, abilities and personal suitability for the position.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability, and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application:
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Locally Engaged Staff (LES) in the United States of 40 hours per week. The incumbent must be able to work overtime on short notice and be available for occasional duties outside of normal working hours, i.e., evenings, weekends, and some overnight travel.