Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Candidates may be eligible to receive Title 38 Physician and Dentist Pay (PDP) in addition to the regular General Schedule base salary. TITLE 38 PAY RANGE (GS BASE PAY + TITLE 38 PDP) FOR GS-15 MAY GO UP TO $234,000 DEPENDING ON CLINICAL SPECIALTY, EXCEPTIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, BOARD CERTIFICATION, AND SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
A. Degree: You must have a Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine or equivalent from a school in the United States or Canada. This degree must have been accredited by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association, Association of American Medical Colleges, Liaison Committee on Medical Education, Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation of the American Osteopathic Association or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained. A copy of your transcripts is required by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to do so will result in you being rated ineligible for this position.
Subsequent to obtaining a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree, a candidate must have had at least 1 year of supervised experience providing direct service in a clinical setting, i.e., a 1-year internship or the first year of a residency program in a hospital or an institution accredited for such training. Graduate training programs include only those internship, residency, and fellowship programs that are approved by accrediting bodies recognized within the United States or Canada. Descriptions of such programs are described below:
An internship program involves broadly based clinical practice in which physicians acquire experience in treating a variety of medical problems under supervision (e.g., internal medicine, surgery, general practice, obstetrics-gynecology and pediatrics). Such programs are in hospitals or other institutions accredited for internship training by a recognized body of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in a hospital or an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
A fellowship program involves advanced training (beyond residency training) in a given medical specialty in either a clinical or research setting in a hospital or an institution accredited in the United States for such training.
B. Have a degree from a Foreign Medical School. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school must provide education and medical knowledge equivalent to accredited schools in the United States. Evidence of equivalency to accredited schools in the United States is demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country, or successful completion of the U.S. Medical Licensing Examination. You must provide a copy of your transcripts, foreign equivalency, or ECFMG results with your application. Failure to do so will result in you being rated ineligible for this position.
Have a License: You must also have an active, permanent, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. You must provide a copy of your license with your application. Failure to do so will result in you being rated ineligible for this position.
Additional Qualification Requirements for GP-15
TRAINING: You must have five years of graduate training in the specialty of the position to be filled OR equivalent experience and training. Your resume/CV must clearly demonstrate this period of training.
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR:
Board Certification in your field of practice is required for this position.
In addition to meeting all of the minimum qualification Requirements stated above, in order to qualify for this Physician position at the GP-15 level, your resume/CV must demonstrate that you have one full year of specialized experience comparable in difficulty and responsibility to at least the GP-14 level in the federal service. Examples of qualifying experience include the following types of tasks performed on a regular and recurring basis:
- Clinical experience in the treatment of mental and/or substance use disorders. This must be direct experience providing treatment to patients.
- Research experience in substance abuse and mental health sufficient to serve as the Policy Lab Director.
- Ability to plan and coordinate studies to develop and evaluate policy operations for complex issues and to provide new concepts for solutions that have nation-wide impact.
- Comprehensive knowledge of a wide range of theories, principles, and concepts of substance abuse treatment, substance abuse prevention, and mental health, including knowledge of science-based programs, research models, and clinical interventions.
- Expert knowledge of emerging trends in substance abuse treatment, prevention and mental health and policy
This position has an education requirement. You must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education requirement. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to your starting work.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences.
Click here for information on "Federal hiring for individuals with disabilities".
Conditions of Employment:
- Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
- E-Verify: SAMHSA participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their social security numbers.
- Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- Creditable Service: A newly appointed or reappointed employee may receive service credit for annual leave for prior work experience directly related to the duties of the position being filled. The use of this service credit is at the discretion of the selecting official and must be finalized prior to selectee's entrance on duty. For more information, please click here.
- Financial Disclosure: This position requires you to file a public or confidential financial disclosure report prior to receiving a final offer letter as well as within 30 days of your appointment. This will require you to report information such as recent sources of income, financial interests you hold, and outside activities you participate in, as well as similar information from a spouse or any dependent children. If you have questions, please contact your HRSA Ethics Advisor at AskHR@hrsa.gov.
SAMHSA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. Telework eligibility may be discussed during the interview process.
**Applicants please note: Additional selections may be made across the Department of Health and Human Services through this vacancy announcement.** Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
This is a Direct-Hire Authority position, traditional rating and ranking of applicants does not apply to this vacancy.
Your application will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position. All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and have active Board Certification in your field of practice will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management Direct Hire Authority.
TO PREVIEW THE OCCUPATIONAL ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE, please click on the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10282232