7 days left
- Full Time
Occasional travel - Limited less than 15 percent
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Background or Security Investigation: This is a Non-Critical Sensitive position which requires a background investigation. The individual selected for this position is required to obtain and maintain a Secret security determination to occupy a Non-Critical Sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment.REQUIRED
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education in a national security affairs related area or other appropriate discipline.
- Demonstrated in-depth experience in conducting scholarly and policy research with publication track record on contemporary and emerging African security issues (e.g. region-wide security trends; combating violent extremism; transnational organized crime; illicit trafficking; counter insurgency and stabilization; peacekeeping; enhancing security sector institutional capacity, oversight, and accountability; improving regional and international security cooperation; security cooperation; urban fragility; and conflict mitigation).
- Deep understanding of Africa's societally-based security challenges, trends, and priorities.
- At least five years' professional or academic experience based in Africa.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively as part of a research team.
- Doctorate's degree (or ABD) from a regionally accredited institution of higher education in a national security affairs related area or other appropriate discipline.
- Demonstrated expertise in guiding and editing policy relevant research
- Well networked with civilian and military actors engaged in African security sector
- Experience engaging with senior US and African security sector officials
- Experience in building collaborative relationships across agencies and organizations
- Experience in developing new insights and applying creative thinking and innovative solutions
- French language proficiency
This is a Title 10 Excepted Service Appointment. Appointment is not to exceed 3 years with the possibility for extension. Applications for this vacancy require a narrative assessment questionnaire to be completed by each applicant and uploaded as a separate document with submission. The required narrative questions are listed in the "How You Will Be Evaluated" section. Responses to the narrative questions must be completed and uploaded with the other specified required documents.
The Africa Center has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. The Africa Center employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute.
Initial Probationary Period: You will be required to serve an initial probationary period of 18 months.
Reemployed Annuitants: Department of Defense has the authority to hire annuitants without reduction in pay. For more information, go to: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A screening panel will review your resume and narrative answers to the assessment questions to evaluate your qualifications for the position. NDU uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions You must attach a separate document with answers to the questions listed below. The following questions will be reviewed by the NDU screening panel.
- Describe your practical experience as it relates to African security studies.
- Describe your experience in conducting and publishing policy relevant research on Africa's contemporary security challenges.
- Describe your analytic skills, including the generation of conceptual frameworks for advancing understanding of policy challenges.
- Describe your depth of experience in editing other scholars' research and research project management more generally.
- Describe your ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Describe your experience and proficiency in oral and written policy communication and, in particular, your ability to express clear, concise concepts and findings to policy audiences.