Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), applicants MUST demonstrate progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level managerial capability and directly related to the competencies outlined under Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and Technical Qualifications (TQs). Typically, experience of this nature will have been gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations. Applicants must provide detailed evidence of possession of each of the ECQs and TQs listed below in supplemental statements. These statements will assist reviewing officials in determining the best qualified candidates to refer to the selecting official. Qualifications and experience determinations will be based only on the information you submit. FAILURE TO MEET OR FULLY ADDRESS ANY ONE OF THE MANDATORY ECQS AND TQS WILL ELIMINATE A CANDIDATE FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
**If you can claim Noncompetitive status—you are a current or reinstatement eligible Career SES or a graduate of an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) and your ECQs have been certified by OPM’s Qualifications Review Board (QRB)—you are not required to address the ECQs. However, you MUST submit supplement statements addressing all mandatory TQs. Current and reinstatement eligible SES, you must include with your application a copy of your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, documenting your SES Career Appointment. CDP graduates, you must include a copy of your OPM CDP graduation certificate or other proof that your ECQs have been QRB certified.**
You will be evaluated on the following Executive Core Qualifications:
ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE
This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Core Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, and Vision
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE
This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Core Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, and Team Building
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN
This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Core Competencies: Accountability, Customer Service, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, and Technical Credibility
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN
This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Core Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, and Technology Management
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS
This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Core Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, and Influencing/Negotiating
The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Written Communication, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS – MANDATORY
You will be evaluated on the following Technical Qualifications:
TQ 1 – Expert knowledge of professional audit and/or investigative standards as applied to complex programmatic operational audits and evaluations, and/or criminal, civil and administrative investigations, contract fraud, other white collar crimes, including employee ethics violations, and federal regulatory violations.
TQ 2 – Experience that demonstrates the ability to identify, analyze, assess, and document audit and/or investigative findings on an organization’s programs, activities, and operations, and to work effectively with management in crafting tailored, actionable recommendations to address those findings.
TQ 3 – Experience that demonstrates the ability to direct the operations of an organization to ensure all activities comply with applicable laws, regulations, standards, and procedures. Such activities include budget, human resources, acquisition and procurement, legal affairs, quality assurance processes, and workforce training and development.
There is no educational requirement for this position.
- The agency will not pay moving expenses.
- If we select you for an initial career appointment to an SES position, the Office of Personnel Management’s Qualifications Review Board (QRB) must approve your Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) prior to appointment. A selection is tentative until we obtain a QRB certification.
- You must complete a Declaration for Federal Employment before we can hire you in order to certify the accuracy of your written application and provide information necessary to determine your suitability for federal employment.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, and we select you for this position, you must certify prior to appointment that you registered for the military selective service.
- If we select you for this position, you must complete personnel suitability documents. Appointment is contingent upon successful completion of an appropriate background investigation.
- Veterans’ preference does not apply to positions in the Senior Executive Service.
- The Federal Trade Commission provides reasonable accommodation, where appropriate, to applicants with disabilities. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Federal Trade Commission. The agency will make determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. Questions about the Federal Trade Commission’s accommodation policy may be directed to Liz Kraszewski at (202) 326-3087.
- The Ethics in Government Act, PL 95-521, requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a financial disclosure statement, SF-278, prior to assuming the SES position, annually while employed, and upon termination of employment. You may also be subject to post-employment restrictions.
- Your application includes information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 U.S.C. 552a); collection is authorized under Title 5 of the U.S. Code, '3302 and 3361. We use the information to determine qualifications for employment.
- Effective March 18, 2016, the Office of Personnel Management must authorize any employment offers made to individuals who are currently serving in or have previously served in (within the last five years) political positions, to include Presidential appointees with or without Senate confirmation, Schedule A or Schedule C political appointees, appointees serving in a political capacity under an agency-specific authority, and Noncareer SES employees in the Executive Branch. If you are currently a political appointee, or have been within the last 5 years, please indicate this in your resume. Serving in a political position WILL NOT eliminate you from consideration.
THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND CONSIDERS ALL ELIGIBLE CANDIDATES WITHOUT REGARD TO NON-MERIT FACTORS.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A preliminary review of applications will be made to determine if minimum qualifications as defined in this announcement are met. Applicants who meet all of the mandatory executive core and technical qualifications will be evaluated by a panel of SES members to determine the degree to which they possess each of the listed qualifications. This evaluation, using the resume, Executive Core and Technical Qualification narratives will determine which applicants are Highly Qualified based on the information provided in the application. Highly Qualified applicants will be referred for further review.
As a prerequisite for an initial career appointment to the SES, the selectee’s ECQs must be certified by OPM’s QRB.
To preview questions please click here.