Plant Operator I
This position requires working split shifts 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Operates wastewater treatment processes at the Noman M. Cole Jr. Pollution Plant, a 67 MGD advanced wastewater treatment facility. Collects samples for plant process testing and monitors process flows. Assists higher level plant operators in monitoring operations via computer, visual and audio inspections. Collects samples of wastewater and sludge at prescribed stages and time intervals in the treatment cycle and performs basic tests. Monitors alarms and by-passes pieces of equipment in case of emergency. Understands mechanical process and use of mechanical tools and instruments.
Maintains accurate logs and carries out applicable safety practices. Duties performed under general supervision.
Note: the salary offer will not exceed the mid-point of the advertised salary range.
- Assists in monitoring an equipment and/or treatment process station to ensure the proper treatment of wastewater;
- Assists higher level plant operators in monitoring operations via laptop, visual, and audio inspections;
- Assist with preventative and corrective maintenance;
- Collects samples of wastewater and sludge at prescribed stages and time intervals in the treatment cycle and performs basic tests;
- Monitors alarms and by-passes to another piece of equipment in case of an emergency;
- Communicates with previous operator at beginning of shift to determine problems and status of all equipment;
- Maintains records as assigned and required;
- Cleans bar screens, wet wells, tanks, and other equipment and skims grease;
- Adjusts chemical feed rates, adjusts or replaces packing on pumps, gates, and other controls and equipment;
- Performs general housekeeping and cleaning duties;
- Effectively communicates with customers, employees and supervisors;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
- Basic knowledge of computers;
- Ability to learn the principles of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition systems (SCADA), Computerized Maintenance Systems (CMMS) and Enterprise Asset Management systems (EAM);
- Ability to learn the principles and operation of wastewater treatment;
- Ability to learn the biological, chemical, and physical processes of wastewater treatment;
- Ability to understand mechanical processes and use mechanical tools and instruments;
- Ability to maintain accurate logs;
- Ability to operate a computer;
- Ability to work in confined spaces;
- Ability to comprehend confined space training;
- Ability to comprehend and comply to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with customers, employees and supervisors.
Graduation from high school, or a GED issued by a state department of education.
Experience working in the wastewater field at a Class I wastewater facility.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
A Class IV Wastewater Treatment Operator's certification issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia within 18 months of appointment. A valid driver's license is required.
With or without reasonable accommodation. Must be able to lift 50 to 70 pounds. Must be able to bend, stoop, climb stairs and climb up and down a 40-foot ladder. May be required to enter permitted confined spaces using an OSHA-certified non-entry retrieval system, which includes a safety harness with a weight restriction of 310 pounds.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Appointees within this classification are subject to a criminal background check, driving record check and pre-employment physical prior to employment to the satisfaction of the employer.
Positions within this classification are considered essential to the maintenance and continuity of core county operations during the activation of an emergency or critical incident.
Subject to working in adverse weather conditions and may be exposed to raw waste.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.