Deputy Chief Administrative Trademark Judge
Occasional travel - There may be occasional travel.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
The Deputy Chief Judge must be a member in good standing of the Bar of any state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, or any territorial court under the Constitution. Furthermore, the Deputy Chief Judge must possess significant work experience in the field of trademark law and management.
Each response to the Professional Technical Qualifications (PTQs) & Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) must include a narrative summary of the applicant's executive experience in relation to the PTQs & ECQs and specific examples of accomplishments. Failure to address each qualification factor will have an adverse impact upon your ranking.
The Professional Technical Qualifications (PTQs) for this position are:
- Expert knowledge of the legal principles and technical subject matter associated with trademark appeals and trial proceedings. Demonstrated ability to understand technical subject matter; apply relevant trademark law legal principles; and effectively work with diverse groups of individuals, to resolve complex technical and legal issues.
- Demonstrated executive level experience in directing, supervising, and evaluating the activities of a professional, technical, and legal organizational unit. Demonstrated ability to develop and achieve organizational goals; prepare and execute organizational budgets; delegate assignments; motivate subordinate groups and individuals; establish and execute programs to implement policies; and establish and maintain a positive working environment.
- Executive level experience in effectively communicating orally and in writing regarding complex technical and legal issues; the ability to fully comprehend the complex technical and legal issues discussed in a work group; the ability to lead said work group(s); and the demonstrated experience to effectively interact with the legal community and other internal and external stakeholders.
The Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) for this position are:
1. Leading Change - This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People - This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven - This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen - This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions- This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
NOTE: If you are selected for the position you may be required to submit Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) to the Office of Personnel Management to be approved before you can be placed into the position. More Information regarding the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) can be found here: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/reference-materials/guidetosesquals_2012.pdf
If you are a current or previous OPM approved SES you do not have to address the Executive Core Qualification questions in your application package. Please submit an SF-50 showing your SES Status within your application package.
SES Designation This position is classified as Career Reserved because it is necessary to restrict appointment to career employees in order to ensure the public’s confidence in the impartiality of the Government.
Due to the complexity of this position, the Deputy Chief Administrative Trademark Judge must possess a law degree.
Applicants applying for this position must be a United States Citizen.
If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System. If you are exempt from registration under Selective Service Law, you must provide appropriate proof of exemption. Please visit the Selective Service System website for more information.
This is a Non Bargaining Unit position.
This is a Public Trust position and has a risk level designation of "high".
Background Investigation - If selected for this position, you may be required to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306), which includes a fingerprint and credit check, to determine your suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background investigation.
The USPTO participates in E-Verify. For more information on E-Verify, please visit http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1185221678150.shtm
Probationary Period- If selected, you may be required to complete an initial one-year probationary period.
Mobility: Organizational and geographical mobility is essential in developing and managing SES leaders and generally is a key to advancement. Therefore, applicants are expected to be mobile and once appointed SES members may be reassigned at the discretion of the appointing authority.
Before entering on duty, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-278. You will need to provide the information annually.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choice.
Relocation expenses and or Recruitment incentives will not be authorized.
Federal agencies, including the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. USPTO Job Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should request accommodation(s) from the USPTO at https://uspto.entellitrak.com. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. The United States Patent and Trademark Office is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. If you believe that you have been discriminated against and would like to file an EEO complaint, you must do so within 45 days of the date of the alleged discriminatory act. Claims of employment discrimination must be submitted to the attention of the USPTOs Office of Equal Employment Opportunity & Diversity via email (email@example.com) or phone (571-272-8292).
All application materials become the property of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your eligibility for consideration and qualifications for the position will be determined based upon a review of your detailed resume and your responses to job specific self-assessment questions including the Professional Technical Qualifications (PTQs) and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) questions. Applicants must clearly demonstrate in their application materials that they possess technical attributes in the Professional/Technical Qualifications (PTQs). In addition, applicants must clearly demonstrate that they possess the leadership attributes in the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs). Please Note: The PTQs and ECQs must be addressed individually and in narrative form and do not write "see resume."
You will be evaluated on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Your application will be evaluated by a rating and ranking panel, and highly qualified candidates will be submitted to the Selecting Official for further review and consideration.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No