Public Relations and Marketing Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications
The George Mason University College of Visual and Performing Arts (CVPA) is looking for a creative and energetic Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: The Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications promotes the activities of CVPA, coordinates all public and media relations activities for the Center for the Arts and Hylton Performing Arts Center, and supports the public and media relations activities for CVPA at large. This position helps promote performances and events at the two performing arts centers, including the student performance and exhibition activities of CVPA through media outreach, community outreach and social media initiatives.
Primary activities of this position include the coordination of the following:
- Write and disseminate press releases for Great Performances at Mason, Hylton Presents, Hylton Family Series, special events at the Center for the Arts and Hylton Performing Arts Center, and CVPA academic units;
- Develop story ideas and pitch those ideas to relevant press;
- Create and execute public relations plan and timeline;
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with key media and community personnel;
- Assist in developing and executing communication plans of CVPA academic units, and coordinate with Mason Office of Communications to disseminate press releases and pitches about significant news from CVPA units;
- Coordinate the execution of marketing strategies to promote subscription and single ticket sales for the Center for the Arts and the Hylton Performing Arts Center;
- Coordinate grassroots efforts and audience engagement initiatives;
- Assist in writing, editing and proofreading;
- Obtain, organize and maintain artist materials;
- Manage press archives; and
- Contributes content for social media initiatives for the Center for the Arts and the Hylton Performing Arts Center, regularly posting to social media accounts and serving as accounts administrator.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing or related area, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Excellent communications skills, including writing at a very high level;
- Knowledge of industry standards for public relations and social media;
- Proficiency in social media platforms;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite;
- Knowledge of the arts; and
- Demonstrated public/media relations and/or marketing experience.
- Knowledge of Washington, D.C., and Northern Virginia press as it relates to arts and culture;
- Adobe Creative Suite experience;
- Previous experience in a university or in an arts environment; and
- Previous experience with subscription and single ticket campaigns in a performing arts organization.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 09317z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date : 2018-09-07