Full Time Dispatcher
6 days left
- Full Time
An employee in this position is responsible for all communications functions for school bus services for Student Transportation, as well as all incoming emergency calls, burglar alarms, and fire alarms for the Office of Safety and Security, and routine maintenance calls for Facilities and General Services.
An employee in this position also coordinates office, garage, and driver communications regarding staffing, substitutions, and daily operational adjustments. The employee calls and assigns substitute drivers and attendants as needed, and handles all emergency calls to fire, rescue, and/or police from school vehicles and school facilities. This position is technical in nature, requiring the employee to routinely interact with citizens, agencies, and other employees. An employee in this position is required to exercise discretion and utilize independent judgment. Established procedures must be applied in varying situations, while referring only unusual or unresolved problems to a supervisor.
* Considerable experience in school bus operations or Safety and Security procedures or dispatcher-related work
* Working knowledge of school bus operations, school locations, county roads, and general geography
* Ability to maintain records, obtain and relay accurate information, and work well under pressure of deadlines
* Ability to operate two-way radio and standard office equipment, such as a personal computer, copy machine, and fax
* Demonstrates patience, professionalism, and sound judgment with the ability to provide professional and courteous customer service
* Availability to work different shifts to include weekends and overnight as needed
* Personnel applying for this position will be required to sign a confidentiality statement
* Virginia Commercial Driver's License with appropriate endorsement; ability to drive a school bus
* General knowledge of computer use and email, including Microsoft Office
* Strong skills in human relations, organization, and oral and written communication
The dispatcher reports to the Dispatch Area Supervisor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or bend and may be required to lift up to approximately 25 pounds.