This position is located in the Office of the Chief Administration Officer, Contracts & Procurement Group (C&P). C&P handles the contracting for and procurement of a variety of items/services for Altarum Institute (Altarum), including but not limited to cradle to grave contracting for all federal contracts and grants, foundation grants, and commercial contracts; also subcontracts, all purchasing of materials and indirect services for the Institute.
We’re looking for a skilled Contract Specialist to join us in delivering excellent results to our internal and external clients. Your attention to detail, solution-oriented mindset, and drive to exceed expectations will lead you to excel in this role. This position will be responsible for developing, managing, and supporting the proposals, contracts, and subcontracts for Altarum’s technical Centers and working with the Manager of the Contracting and Procurement Group to ensure all the contracting and procurement needs for their assignments have been met. This position may be located in our Ann Arbor, Michigan office or our DC Area office.
- Manages contract and grant award and administration process for assigned projects; including but not limited to project set-up, compliance, modifications, subcontractors, terminations, and contract closeouts
- Negotiates and supports modifications to contracts and conducts analysis of alternatives.
- Reviews Requests for Proposals and manages, or assists others in C&P, in preparing compliant business/price/cost proposal responses for assigned opportunities.
- Works closely with Center Directors and Deputies on strategies in developing price and cost proposals.
- Analyzes and evaluates cost-related areas of solicitations for pricing structure and instruction to offerors. Assesses subcontractor price/cost quotes for new procurements, changes, follow-on procurements, etc.
- Conducts and utilizes price/cost analysis techniques to support the development of cost-related sections of solicitation documents and the analysis of cost and price data, labor and material cost, etc.
- Serves as a point of contact for all contractual communications and commitments
- Assures compliance with applicable federal regulations and internal policies and procedures and seeks guidance, when needed
- Negotiates proposals and contracts within business goals and documents substance of discussions, agreements and results
- Reviews contractual documents for accuracy, performance risk, and conformance with contract terms, conditions, and other provisions including applicable federal regulations and business team objectives prior to signature / acceptance
- Works the Center Directors, Deputies, and Program Managers to ensure contract requirements are fully understood and executed
- Responds to internal and external inquiries regarding contract issues, audits, and compliance requirements with support from management, as needed
- Supports contract change process and works with Program Management, Engineering, Finance and other disciplines to mitigate performance risk
- Develop, review, negotiate Nondisclosure and Teaming Agreements
- Works closely with the Department of Legal Affairs and Compliance on review of non-Altarum standard agreements.
- Advises and supports Centers on issues/developments relative to assigned contracts, grants, and proposals
- Supports contract operations and enterprise objectives
- Bachelor’s Degree required from an accredited college or university in a related field
- Minimum of 4+ years of experience
- Experienced professional with a proficient understanding of federal contract, grant and proposal management; resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways
- Demonstrates proficient judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solution
- Experience in negotiation of contracts
- Experience in business/price proposal development
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge of applicable federal regulations (FAR, DFARS, etc…) and contracting experience with Prime Contractors as wells as all contract types
- Experience reviewing and analyzing contractual documents for accuracy, performance risk, and conformance with contract terms, conditions, and other provision
- Possesses proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in automated systems and software applications including Microsoft Word (intermediate to Advanced), Excel (intermediate to Advanced), Outlook, SharePoint, Adobe Acrobat, and teleconference applications; can quickly learn and adapt to new systems and software.
- Excellent writing skills and be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, emerging growth environment
- Demonstrates very solid analytical/critical thinking skills; attention to detail and research skills
- Demonstrates flexibility and able to prioritize/re-prioritize with changing goals
- Collaborates and works effectively cross-functionally within C&P and throughout the business
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to the ever changing federal contracting landscape.
Altarum Institute (Altarum) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Altarum serves the public good by solving complex systems problems to improve human health. Altarum creates and implements solutions to advance health among vulnerable and publicly-insured populations. Public sector clients include the U.S. Department of Defense, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Agriculture, Department of Veterans Affairs, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and various state agencies nationwide. Altarum also serves clients in the philanthropic and private sectors. Areas of expertise include health data and analytics; value-based care; public health systems design, development and information exchange; behavioral health and substance use disorders; childhood and adolescent health; medical education; food and nutrition; consumer engagement; elder care; health disparities and equity; and military and veterans’ health.
Altarum's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us. Altarum Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.