SENIOR WATER/SEWER/STREETS TECHNICIAN
Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services is hiring a Senior Water, Sewer, and Streets (WSS) Technician for the Sewer Construction Section. This employee provides on-site leadership to team members on a daily basis and acts on behalf of the supervisor in his/her absence. Sewer Construction teams specialize in storm sewer and sanitary sewer construction, maintenance and repair. The work also requires the knowledge of asphalt (potholes & full depth patches) and concrete (curb and gutter, sidewalks, handicap ramps) maintenance and installation.
Specific duties include:
- Interacting with, and providing information to citizens, contractors, Miss Utility locators, engineers, and surveyors;
- Overseeing asphalt and concrete work, performing back-up work as necessary;
- Identifying drainage issues and resolving on site issues;
- Installing sanitary and sewer pipes and materials;
- Ensuring that supplies, tools, materials and equipment are available for the job;
- Completing daily paperwork (computer based systems – asset management) such as time sheets, material tickets, hired equipment tickets and daily project reports;
- Assigning tasks to team members;
- Providing technical expertise and ensuring new team members are trained; and
- Resolving on-site problems as they arise and ensuring that all safety precautions are taken.
The ideal candidate is dedicated, reliable and well organized, will respond to emergencies as needed and have experience leading or guiding the work of staff, with technical knowledge and the ability to perform maintenance and repair in the areas listed above. Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential as this position involves explaining details and providing instructions. Computer skills are also critical as the technician will create reports, utilize the work order system and respond to emails.
Minimum: A combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to operate specialized equipment, perform manual labor in all types of weather, read and understand technical information relating to Water/Sewer/Streets operations, and perform administrative work. This is obtained through a combination of a High School Diploma or the equivalent, plus specialized technical training and significant experience in Construction maintenance in Water, Sewer, or Streets operations. Possession of valid Class "B" or "A" Commercial Driver's License. See Special Requirements below.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for up to two years of the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Technical training may substitute for up to one year of the experience requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Team leader or lead worker experience in construction operations or similar field;
- Extensive experience in two or more technical areas in water, sewer or street operations; and/or
- Experience using asset management or computerized maintenance management systems.
1) Applicant must possess a class "A" or "B" commercial driver's license from the applicant's place of residence.
2) The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and passing a pre-employment drug screening and alcohol breath test as required by applicable standards.
3) Prior to the time of appointment, the successful applicant must pass a pre-employment drug screening. The successful applicant will be subject to drug screening, at such times during employment, as required by federal, state and local standards and policies.
4) Requires on-call duty on a weekly rotating basis which includes assisting the Trades Manager with preparing the on-call stand-by list.
5) Requires learning and following all safety rules and regulations pertaining to job functions which includes attending all required safety classes and meetings in order to ensure a safe working environment and to ensure team members are practicing the required safety rules and regulations.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT: Due to the work environment and as a condition of employment, Arlington County employees may be required to wear various personal protective equipment in the performance of their duties.
Work hours are 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Employee must be available for call back in emergency situations to include sewer emergencies, snow removal season, etc. This position is considered emergency personnel.
The official title of this position is Senior Water/Sewer/Streets Technician II.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.