LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT PROJECT MANAGER
Arlington County is a dynamic and growing urban community with a passion for creative and sustainable parks and open spaces. We have an opening for a high-quality designer who shares this passion and can use their knowledge, creativity and fun-loving esprit de corps to create amazing spaces for the community.
The Landscape Architect Project Manager is part of the award-winning Park Development Division within the Department of Parks and Recreation. It's a mid-level position responsible for projects developed for a very diverse population. Some of our upcoming projects include playgrounds, shelters, dog parks, trails, garden renovations, athletic court and field renovations, developing and updating park design standards and specifications, conceptual plans for park master plans, management of design consultants and contracts, and more.
Specific duties include:
- Managing, designing and coordinating park, playground, and other recreational facility designs;
- Facilitating complex civic engagement processes, including developing civic engagement plans, and coordinating outreach activities with public relations unit to develop successful community engagement;
- Preparing request for proposals (RFP);
- Delivering project presentations to community groups, various commissions, and the County Board;
- Developing and preparing construction documents, including drawings and specifications;
- Preparing project cost estimates and tracking expenditures;
- Coordinating projects through the permit reviews process and collaborating with construction managers to ensure construction projects adhere to specifications and drawings;
- Preparing bid documents and coordinating projects during the bidding process, reviewing bids and selecting contractors;
- Preparing images using various graphic software; and
- Providing technical assistance and advice to the Department, commissions and the public regarding open space designs.
The ideal candidate will have strong organizational and interpersonal skills and be able to work effectively both independently and in a team structure. Work is performed according to general guidelines and parameters with considerable latitude for independent initiative, creativity and judgment in planning the work and in determining methods and procedures for its completion.
Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in Landscape Architecture or Architecture with major coursework in landscape architecture, architecture or a related field plus progressively responsible experience with on-site field inspections, implementing streetscape and landscape design and/or a related field.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Master's degree in Landscape Architecture;
- Registration or Certification in Landscape Architecture from a jurisdiction with reciprocity;
- Experience as a project manager;
- Experience utilizing broad range of computer programs, including AutoCAD 2014 or later and other graphics programs such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience designing urban parks, recreation facilities and or playgrounds; and/or
- Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI)
The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Work Hours: Flexible work schedule Monday through Friday between 8 am to 5 pm. Evening or weekend work will be required.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. In order to receive full credit for your experience, please ensure that you have included details of all relevant work experience on your application and have completed the Supplemental Questionnaire in its entirety. Incomplete applications will not be considered.