Under the general supervision of the school administrator, the interpreter interprets spoken information to parents of students in the educational environment.
The educational environment includes classroom, school, curricular activities, and other educational processes that are deemed appropriate for student learning.
* Acts as the facilitator of communication between parents, students, school staff, and others as appropriate
* Accurately interprets between school staff and parents. Interprets the message faithfully, always conveying the content and spirit of the speaker, using the parent's and student's primary language of communication in the educational setting
* Respects the confidentiality in all areas and maintains an appropriate interpreter relationship at all times. Avoids advising, counseling, or interjecting personal opinions into the interpretation
* Strives to further professional knowledge and skills through participation in workshops, professional meetings, and interaction with professional colleagues
* Maintain credible reports and submit in a timely manner to the Outreach Department
* Must complete LCPS Interpreter Trainings
* Performs duties related to interpreting as assigned
* High school diploma or GED Certificate
* Experience as an educational interpreter preferred
* Ability to relate to children, teachers, and other school staff
* Proficiency score exceeding 4 on the LAS (Language Assessment Scales) test
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to touch and hold objects or instruments; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or bend and may be required to lift up to approximately 15 pounds.