MOTORIZED VEHICLE OPERATOR IV (MULTIPLE VACANCIES)
Job Title: MOTORIZED VEHICLE OPERATOR IV (MULTIPLE VACANCIES) Closing Date/Time: Continuous Salary: $42,744.00 - $65,312.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time Location: Solid Waste Bureau - 4300 S. 29th Street, Arlington, Virginia Arlington County is seeking experienced Motor Vehicle Operators for the Citizen Services section of Operations Unit within the Solid Waste Bureau (SWB), Department of Environmental Services. These positions provide an array of services, such as residential brush collection, roll-off operations, landfill deliveries for disposing of road construction materials and the operation of recycling equipment used to recycle inert materials into products that can be reused in road projects or landscape projects, as well as supporting the County's leaf collection program and snow removal operations.
The positions will be responsible for operating and maintaining vehicles and equipment including but not limited to the following:
- Tractor-trailer in a landfill environment;
- Rubber tire loader in the Earth Products Recycling Yard;
- Knuckle-boom truck for collection of brush material;
- Hook lift roll off truck;
- Small to medium sized dump trucks for delivering mulch;
- Pick-up trucks towing a 6â€“12 foot trailer;
- Street sweeping vehicle;
- Vacuum leaf collection vehicle;
- Rear-loading refuse collection trucks for litter and other programs supported by the Solid Waste Bureau; and
- Stationary recycling equipment such as Tub Grinder, Rock crusher, Dirt shaker, or a Trommel screen.
Other responsibilities include:
- Performing preventive maintenance and making minor repairs on equipment;
- Assisting with leaf collection program and snow removal operations;
- Performing inspections and maintaining the cleanliness of the trucks and equipment within the Solid Waste Bureau;
- Providing information to citizens of the County regarding services provided such as brush collection, as well as interacting with other staff from various departments;
- Utilizing a computer and/or tablet to enter data on a computerized maintenance management system or similar software system to document daily work completed, pre and post trip inspections, mileage; and other relevant information; and
- Reading and following a map and using a GPS to perform daily functions.
The ideal candidates for these positions must have a high regard for safety as an operator of heavy automotive or related equipment. All applicable federal, state and County safety requirements must be followed. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are essential to effectively interact with customers and team members.
Selection Criteria: Note: This recruitment may be used to fill comparable vacancies within the Department of Environmental Services or other County departments.
Minimum: Considerable experience operating heavy equipment or commercial vehicles. Valid Class "A" Commercial Driver's License required. See Special Requirements below.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Hazmat and/or Tanker endorsement;
- More than two years of experience operating equipment and vehicles such as those listed in the position description;
- Experience performing minor repairs on automotive equipment; and/or
- Experience using computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
Special Requirements: NOTE: Arlington County provides a comprehensive leaf collection program to the citizens that will require overtime and weekend work. Employees within the Solid Waste Bureau also respond to snow and debris removal emergencies as well as service special events, both of which require overtime and/or weekend or holiday hours.
- Work is generally performed outdoors and in all types of weather conditions and often near and around moving traffic. The work environment includes exposure to draft, noise, dust, grease, dirt and requires the ability to perform repetitive and intensive manual labor and to lift light-to-heavy objects and equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Applicant must possess a class "A" commercial driver's license at time of application. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record.
- Prior to the time of appointment, the successful applicant must pass a DOT physical and a pre-employment drug screening. Once hired, the employee will be subject to drug screening at such times during employment as required by federal, state, and local standards and regulations.
- Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record, passing of the DOT physical and pre-employment drug screening and alcohol breath test as required by applicable standards.
Additional Information: Work Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Please complete each section of the application. To receive full credit for your experience, please ensure that you have included details of all relevant work experience on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
NOTE: This position is now listed as "open continuous." Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis and interviews conducted continuously with qualified applicants. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.