MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST (2 VACANCIES/1 BILINGUAL)
Job Title: MENTAL HEALTH THERAPIST (2 VACANCIES/1 BILINGUAL) Closing Date/Time: Thu. 08/09/18 11:59 PM Eastern Time Salary: $56,243.20 - $85,904.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time Location: 2100 Washington Blvd., Arlington, (Sequoia Plaza) *ART Bus Accessible*, Virginia Note: This is a re-opening to expand the pool of qualified candidates. If you have already applied for this position, there is no need to re-apply unless you wish to update your application.
The Child & Family Services Division is hiring two (one bilingual) experienced Mental Health Therapists to provide assessment, crisis intervention, treatment, and referrals to youth (birth to 17 years of age). Both of these Mental Health Therapists will deliver individual and group therapy, family support and consultation, education, crisis intervention, case management, discharge planning, and referral services and will be part of a multi-disciplinary team consisting of a psychiatrist, nurse, therapist, and clinical supervisor. The population served come from ethnically and culturally diverse backgrounds and may include Spanish speakers as well as others with limited English skills.
To learn more about Child & Family Services, please click here.
Duties for both positions include:
- Screening and diagnostic assessment for mental health and substance abuse disorders and providing treatment;
- Triaging clients with parents, court, social services, and attorneys to provide care coordination and information regarding resources for youth and families;
- Responding to children/youth and families in crisis, developing safety plans and managing transition to Emergency Services when needed;
- Coordinating care including outpatient therapy, referrals, collaborating with detention homes, courts, schools, and other child-serving agencies; and
- Documenting and tracking services in an electronic record database management system to meet service and documentation standards in accordance with local, state and deferral regulations.
Selection Criteria: Minimums:
- Bilingual speaking ability in English/Spanish for one position.
- Master's degree in a clinical discipline such as Counseling, Psychiatric Social Work, Psychology, Marriage and Family Therapist, Psychiatric Nursing, or other directly related clinical discipline, all of which required a clinical practicum prior to graduation involving diagnostic and treatment services; and
- Two years post-Master's degree experience providing clinical therapy and other mental health services, which included the application of diagnostic and treatment services.
Substitution: A directly related higher level clinical degree may substitute for the Master's Degree education requirement and one year of experience. In the case of this substitution, remaining qualifying work experience must have been gained after the acquisition of the directly related higher level clinical degree.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Treating children and/or adolescents with serious emotional disturbance and at risk conditions;
- Treating children and/or adolescents with histories of trauma (abuse, neglect, domestic violence, separation/loss);
- Providing alcohol and drug treatment to adolescents;
- Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC) certification; and/or
- Virginia licensure or license eligibility as (transferrable): ie. LCSW, LPC, LMF, etc.
Special Requirements: An assessment of oral Spanish proficiency will be required before a candidate can be appointed to the bilingual position. The incumbent in the bilingual position will receive the language pay premium on all hours worked and on paid leave hours.
The applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence, or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
A pre-hire background check will be made on all candidates who are selected for employment. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Additional Information: Work Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. Flexible work schedule to accommodate 6-8 evening hours per week.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The salary range above covers the Mental Health Therapist II position for a candidate who is hired without the appropriate Virginia clinical licensure. The salary range for Mental Health Therapist II (Licensed) is $60,964.80 - $93,142.60.