HEAVY AUTOMOTIVE MECHANIC I/TRAINEE (2 VACANCIES)
Job Title: HEAVY AUTOMOTIVE MECHANIC I/TRAINEE (2 VACANCIES) Closing Date/Time: Continuous Salary: $46,841.60 - $71,572.80 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time Location: Equipment Bureau - 2701 S. Taylor Street, Arlington, Virginia Arlington's Department of Environmental Services seeks experienced heavy automotive mechanics to fill two vacancies within the Operations section of the Auto Equipment Bureau. The Operations section provides maintenance and repair services to County equipment and fleet vehicles such as: heavy fire equipment, dump trucks, utility trucks, pickup trucks, vans, passenger vehicles, school buses, motorcycles, and snow-related equipment. These mechanics are responsible for performing preventive maintenance work and routine corrective repairs on light, heavy, construction and/or emergency vehicles for the evening shift.
Specific duties include:
- Inspecting vehicular equipment;
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing repair work on the mechanical, hydraulic and electrical systems using diagnostic scan tools;
- Determining scope and sequence of repairs required;
- Repairing and/or replacing tires for all types of equipment;
- Operating shop equipment and vehicles such as the tire machine, computerized tire balance, fork lift and wrecker;
- Performing Virginia State Safety Inspections on vehicles; and
- Transporting vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Selection Criteria: Minimum:
Trainee Level: High school diploma or equivalent plus six months of experience performing auto mechanic duties to include one or more of the following functions: diagnosing, repairing gasoline or diesel engines, brake systems, manual and automatic transmissions, or differentials.
Full Performance Level: High school diploma or equivalent plus one year of experience performing auto mechanic duties to include one or more of the following functions: diagnosing, repairing gasoline or diesel engines, brake systems, manual and automatic transmissions, or differentials. Must have:
- Virginia Safety Inspector License; and
- Class "A" or "B" Commercial Driver's License and required endorsements (See special requirements).
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with mechanical experience in one or more of the following:
- Performing diagnostic work and/or technical repairs;
- Repairing heavy fire equipment, dump trucks, utility trucks, pickup trucks, vans, passenger vehicles, school buses, and/or motorcycles;
- Repairing and/or maintaining automobiles and/or trucks;
- Using electronic diagnostic equipment for diesel and gasoline engines.
- The applicant must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license from place of residence and authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record.
- Applicant must possess or obtain within specified time frames of appointment:
- Class "A" or "B" Commercial Driver's License from the applicant's place of residence within the first six (6) months of employment;
- Hazardous materials endorsement (H), Tank vehicle endorsement (N), School Bus endorsement (S), and Passenger Carrying endorsement (P) for the CDL within the first nine (9) months of employment;
- VA State Safety Inspector License within the first twelve (12) months of employment.
- After obtaining CDL and required endorsements H, N, S and P, applicant must be willing to work on and operate the County-owned 2600 gallon fuel truck as requested by the Operations Supervisor.
- Applicants must provide written consent for Arlington County to obtain from previous employers information required by Department of Transportation (DOT) agency regulations concerning drug and alcohol testing information.
- Prior to the time of appointment, the successful applicant must pass a pre-employment drug screening and will be subject to drug screening, at such times during employment, as required by federal, state and local standards and policies. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and passing a pre-employment drug screening and alcohol breath test as required by applicable standards and required background check.
- Applicants must be willing to maintain hand and diagnostic tools required by the trade, work in awkward or cramped positions for long periods of time, and work in an environment that includes exposure to noise, odors, dust, grease and dirt with extended periods of standing, walking, bending, crouching and lifting light to very heavy objects and equipment.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects weighing 25-50 pounds unilaterally; carry 75-100 pounds bilaterally and push/pull 50-75 pounds unassisted.
- Anyone hired without the VA State Certified Safety Inspector License, or the Commercial Driver's License and required endorsements will be appointed as a Trainee and must obtain the permit/license within the specified time frame.
- Once obtained, the CDL and VA State Certified Safety Inspector Licenses must be kept in good standing throughout the duration of the employment.
Additional Information: Work Hours:
PM Shift: Monday through Friday: 2:15 p.m. to 10:45 pm.
Hours may be subject to change. Seasonal overtime may be required.
Must be available for call-back in emergencies.
If a trainee is hired, depending on qualifications, a training period will be established to last no longer than the equivalent of one year. At the end of the training period, the employee must meet experience, training and proficiency requirements for the journey level position. Once the candidate qualifies, the one-year probationary period will begin.
The salary range for the trainee level is $42,140.80 to $64,376.00 annually.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. In order to receive full credit for your experience, please ensure that you have included details of all relevant work experience on your application and have completed the Supplemental Questionnaire in its entirety. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
NOTE: This position is listed as "open continuous." Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a regular basis and interviews conducted continuously with qualified applicants. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.