Job Title: BUDGET ANALYST Closing Date/Time: Continuous Salary: $56,243.20 - $111,758.40 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time Location: 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington *METRO-accessible*, Virginia Arlington County's Department of Management and Finance is seeking a professional Budget Analyst to provide budget analysis and management to a portfolio of County agencies in the Management and Budget division. The Budget Analyst will review budget submissions and other proposals and will approve or recommend alternatives while adhering to industry, county, local and federal regulations and policy guidelines.
Specific duties include:
- Performing detailed review and analysis of operating budget requests;
- Assisting agencies with developing performance measures to evaluate County programs and services;
- Reviewing and analyzing programs and making recommendations for improvement of the effectiveness of existing programs;
- Working with County agencies in developing budget proposals and making budget recommendations to the County Manager;
- Verifying Department budget submissions against automated financial system and reports while adjusting errors;
- Assisting agencies with revenue forecasting and analysis, long-term financial planning, and performance-based auditing;
- Providing training for, and/or coaching, staff, particularly on budget procedures; and
- Creating accounting reports and spreadsheets or other fiscal documents.
The ideal candidate will have strong oral and written communication skills, the ability to effectively collect, analyze, integrate and interpret financial data, and the ability to learn the functions and understand the objectives of assigned agencies.
Selection Criteria: Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration, or a closely related field and significant professional fiscal experience preparing/monitoring budgets, analyzing accounting reports.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for education requirements on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Master's degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics or a closely related field;
- Analyzing, researching, negotiating, and recommending solutions within a budgetary process for a municipal agency;
- Coordinating and facilitating the work of others involved in the budgetary process;
- Preparing spreadsheets, reports or other fiscal documents;
- Managing a budgetary process in a government or non-profit organization;
- Developing and analyzing performance measures and performing program reviews; and/or
- Providing training and/or coaching staff, particularly in budgetary procedures.
Special Requirements: Applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
A pre-employment criminal records check will be conducted. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Additional Information: Work Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This position is part of an alternative pay program that includes career path and pay-for-performance elements and an extended salary ceiling. Entry salary within the band is based on a review of qualifications and experience.
In order to fully credit relevant experience, applicants are required to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire. Please do not enter "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Note: This recruitment is open until the position is filled, interested applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Qualified applicants in this first group will be referred to the hiring manager and interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when enough qualified applications have been received.
Note: Salary listed above is for fiscal year 2019, effective July 1, 2018.