Assistant Director of Residence Life
- Full Time
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Assistant Director of Residence Life
Housing and Residence Life is currently seeking applications from qualified candidates for the Assistant Director of Residence Life position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Housing and Residence Life is an auxiliary organization within the University Life unit of George Mason University. HRL employs over 170 full-time and graduate staff members and over 350 undergraduate student staff members, and is committed to provide a safe, well-maintained student-centered environment that is innovative and inclusive of the global community. It is dedicated to creating a home that enriches the experiences of our students, staff, and faculty.
The Assistant Director for Residence Life is a professional staff member primarily responsible for the overall function of a residential neighborhood housing 1500 - 2000 residents. Responsibilities include supervising professional staff members, primary oversight for all administrative functions within the neighborhood, as well as reporting directly to the Director of Residence Life to ensure safe, clean, inclusive, and developed communities.
The Assistant Director of Residence Life provides leadership, coordination and oversight for one of three residential neighborhoods. Responsibilities are focused in the areas of supervision, student development and administration:
- Provide leadership and oversight for one of three residential neighborhoods; supporting the mission of the university and department of Housing and Residence Life.
- Directly supervise 4 - 8 full-time professional Resident Directors and provide leadership and indirect supervision for graduate and student neighborhood staff, including Resident Advisors, Peer Mentors and Desk Assistants.
- Oversee execution and successful implementation of the residential curriculum in an effort to support and attain goals related to University, divisional and departmental strategic initiatives.
- Develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships with neighborhood staff including housekeeping, maintenance, and housing services.
- Evaluate job performance of Resident Directors; including providing on-going feedback and annual performance reviews. Assist RDs with completion of the annual individual Professional Development Plan, and engage in on-going review of progress, including contributing to the work-flow process for conference attendance and travel reimbursement.
- Serve as a resource to staff in the areas of community development, staff development/training and supervision.
- Assist the Resident Directors in coordinating all aspects of crisis response and intervention in collaboration with the Community Standards team
- Assist in the planning and implementation of Resident Director (RD) and Resident Advisor (RA) training.
- Lead effective weekly staff meetings for the neighborhood team which represents multiple units within Housing and Residence Life.
- Attend student staff team meetings on an as needed basis, including resident advisor and desk assistant teams.
- Plan and execute monthly student staff neighborhood meetings.
Student Development & Engagement
- Engage in the execution of the residential curriculum, teaching and advising students in the areas of the Patriot Experience. Effectively motivating and educating students and staff in all areas of the Patriot Experience.
- Serve in on-call rotation with other Assistant Directors for Residence Life to provide direction and support for Resident Director on-call teams.
- Ensure appropriate case management, follow-up and student support for student needs in consultation with the Director of Residence Life and Assistant Director for Community Standards.
- Oversee successful implantation of student success initiatives, including but not limited to the Patriot Success survey.
- Serve as university conduct officer, adjudicating high level and repeat conduct offenses.
- Provide oversight and leadership to RD staff related to performance management of student staff to ensure implementation of developmental performance plans for student staff growth and leadership.
- Provide oversight for all living agreements (roommate and community) within assigned neighborhood in collaboration with RD team.
- Participate in unit, departmental and divisional work stream and committee opportunities centered on the student experience.
- Provide leadership and administrative support to the housing, residence life and operations staff within a residential neighborhood.
- Coordinate neighborhood efforts connected to assessing and attaining established unit, departmental and divisional goals and objectives consistent with the universitys mission and strategic plan.
- Oversee coordination of large scale operations related to departmental operations including but not limited to semester opening and closings, summer turn processes, early arrivals and break housing. .
- Provide oversight for follow-up related to neighborhood facility needs and projects
- Support all occupancy management and record-keeping in collaboration with Housing Services staff.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of neighborhood programs and traditions including, but not limited to annual block parties and Neighborhood Council events.
- Oversee neighborhood residence life purchases and vendor contracts for fiscal accuracy and on-going reconciliation with departmental and unit budget processes.
- Ensure accurate damage billing and key/access management procedures in collaboration with the Neighborhood Administrative Specialist and Operations staff.
- In the event of a vacancy, assistant directors should be prepared to cover assigned responsibilities of the vacated position.
- Provide leadership to departmental staff recruitment and hiring processes, including serving as a chair and/or member of designated search committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Residence Life.
- Work a flexible work schedule accommodating for evening and weekend programs and events, including but not limited to admissions events, neighborhood events, staff training events and other large scale events aimed at serving the residential population.
- Serve as essential personnel in a campus emergency.
- Masters Degree or equivalent education and manager level experience.
- At least three years full time experience with progressively responsible duties and assignments in Residence Life
- Strong communication, leadership, teamwork, and administrative skills
- Demonstrated experience regarding commitment to inclusion and social justice, crisis management, and staff supervision with a focus on student development.
- Masters Degree with three to five years full time residence life experience.
- Progressive supervision experience
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of the relationship between facilities, services and residence life, and an ability to lead successful teams.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :