General Attorney (Tax), Senior Technician Reviewer (Corporate)
Occasional travel - 5% or greater
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Your application includes your resume and responses to the online questions and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume will result in a “not qualified” determination.You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
To qualify for this position at the GS-15 grade level, you must have one year of general legal experience plus 4 years of specialized legal tax experience, equivalent in scope and effect to the GS-14 level. An LL.M. degree in the field of the position (tax) may be substituted for one year of general legal experience listed.
Specialized knowledge: You must demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the application of one or more of the following – section 1504 affiliation rules; section 1.1502-13 intercompany transaction regulations; section 1502-21 net operating loss regulations; and section 1.1502-32 investment adjustment regulations. In addition, you must demonstrate a strong working knowledge of the major common law doctrines applicable to consolidated groups and the single-versus-separate entity themes and goals underlying the different provisions of the consolidated return regulations.
- The J.D. and/or the LL.M must be from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Candidates must be admitted to practice law before the highest court of a state or territory of the United States; the District of Columbia; or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
- One year of professional legal experience refers to full-time work. Part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
- The experience may have been gained in the public, private sector, or Volunteer Service.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
- GS-15: You must have been at the GS-14 level for 52 weeks. (time-in-grade requirement)
You must have graduated with a J.D. and/or an LL.M from an ABA-accredited law school.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a non bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- Relocation expenses will not be paid.
- Occasional Travel may be required.
- Position is located at 1111 Constitution Avenue NW, Washington, DC.
- A 1-year trial period is required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Undergo an income tax verification.
- The employment of a new hire selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will be considered based on their overall background as it relates to the position to be filled. All application materials and interviews, if conducted, will be used in the final evaluation and selection process.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, the Executive Resources Branch will assess your overall specialized knowledge and experience as it relates to the position to be filled, compare it to the other applicants’ knowledge and experience and determine the candidate best qualified for the position. The board may or may not conduct interviews. You will be notified of the outcome.
Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. Your rating may be lowered, if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the experience described in your application.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview. We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
To preview questions please click here.