Coordinator, Graduation Services
Coordinator, Graduation Services
Office of the Registrar
Contingent II, Exempt, Full-Time, Pay Grade 1.2
Location: Largo, MD
University of Maryland University College Office of the Registrar is a forward thinking, innovative office with a focus on building staff competencies in the Registrar profession using AACRAO Competency frameworks. The Office is seeking a Coordinator, reporting to the Director in the Graduation Services unit for the Office of the Registrar. The Coordinator is a student facing, service focused position that support students, staff, faculty, and others (internal and external) by providing excellent customer service via phone, salesforce cases, chat, email, and any other methods of communication that assure we are meeting student needs. This position is part of a team of staff that collectively support students request, clearance, and communication regarding conferral and commencement. As such, collaboration across the team, the unit, and the department is required and demonstrated by activities such as engaging in helping other evaluators and auditors assure the clearance process is consistent, accurate, efficient, and focused on a positive and affirming educational choice in celebration of the student's accomplishment. Coordinators are expected to take regular opportunities to dialogue with other coordinator staff and graduation clearance auditors; helping make determinations on any exception requests, providing expertise on content, curriculum, policies, practices, and processes while collectively and individually providing feedback and ideas to the office for ways to enhance the services to students, staff, faculty and others.
The Coordinator oversees (together with other unit staff) the graduation processes including application, graduation review, and certification. Throughout these processes the Coordinator will demonstrate exceptional attention to detail and accuracy, efficiency, and transparent and professional communication to all stakeholders. The Coordinators are responsible for monitoring workflow of the process from the point of student application for degree through certification for graduation and diploma ordering.
An integral part of the Coordinator role is to conduct detailed and accurate quality assurance of query and other data results related to graduation requirements including (but not limited too) cumulative GPA, overall units, and missing requirements. This role assists students with obtaining letters of completion for employment and other purposes, embassy letters, and other special processes that provide expeditious and helpful service to students. The Coordinators in the unit are collectively and individually responsible for handling the troubleshooting of student issues and recommending solutions that meet all policy and practice requirements while remaining sensitive to this critical time in a student's educational journey. Coordinators will regularly make suggestions for improvement by identifying problems and issues related to student service in the graduation process. The Coordinator must demonstrate thorough understanding of graduation related academic policy and procedures for graduate and undergraduate populations worldwide. The Coordinator will also perform other job-related duties, as assigned.
This role will be required to work from 8:30am to 5:00pm.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- As the primary student facing representatives of the graduation area, answer all incoming calls with professional courtesy and kindness, promptly responding to student and advisor questions regarding graduation processes - meeting all Service Level Agreement Timelines (SLA) for the department via phone, chat, SalesForce, or emails;
- Coordinate and complete steps in the graduation certification processes including updating PeopleSoft or other systems appropriately, processing graduation applications and fees, and confirming completion of graduation requirements.
- Processing and preparation of diploma orders, and tracking and maintaining of data within the student information and other systems;
- Cultivate current business processes and practices knowledge via utilizing existing tools (University catalog, academic content meetings, and assorted updates) - including assuring any new practices are understood and applied;
- Complete and provide verification forms for third party requests on graduation status;
- Develop and coordinate communications to students related to their application status and/or diploma orders
- Demonstrates high level written and oral communication skills by communicating professionally and anticipating the needs of the customers; proactively seek to ensure questions and issues are handled with tact, diplomacy, and integrity.
- Identify issues related to the business processes, and contribute ideas for the development of new businesses processes for all graduation processes;
- Prepares and delivers professional presentations and trainings within the subject area or in a growth area, either individually or in collaboration with colleagues.
- Actively participate in meetings, workgroups, and other communication pathways by sharing ideas and solutions to drive student success and enhance the customer service and outputs of the department.
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Demonstrated competency in satisfactory resolution of student and/or customer initiated questions using resources and tools available via online or paper to deliver accurate and professional responses.
- Demonstrated ability to work with detailed, factual information from a variety of sources with outstanding accuracy (e.g. 98% accuracy rate).
- Ability to employ an analytical and creative approach to solving problems and consideration of potential solutions.
- Understanding of requirements around student data privacy and the sharing of data appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external customers via phone, email, chat, and other methods.
- Strong critical thinking skills with an ability to analyze.
- Ability to organize and prioritize administrative tasks and workflow such that all service level agreements are met.
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining accuracy.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of one (1) year experience with student records and/or graduation services.
- Demonstrated experience in a higher education student services environment.
- Experience via demonstrated competency in initiating, acting on, and closing CRM (e.g. SalesForce) cases and actions.
- Functional understanding of institutional requirements for degree or certificate completion.
- Experience via demonstrated competency initiating, completing, and reviewing transactions in a Student Information System (preferably PeopleSoft) evidencing understanding of the system and relational nature of the data beyond processing individual transactions.
- Ability to prioritize workflow and demonstrate problem solving abilities.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY.
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE.
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.