Occupational Safety Specialist
This position supports Loudoun County Public Schools efforts to address issues related to worker safety and regulatory compliance.
The Occupational Safety Specialist will assist in managing compliance with regulatory requirements in a diverse number of environments, to include equipment and facility maintenance shops, administrative offices, commercial kitchens, instructional classrooms (including vocational and theater arts,) educational laboratories, and athletic facilities.
* Assist in identifying training needs, developing a training matrix, and developing appropriate safety training.
* Conduct job hazard analysis
* Conduct facility safety audits identifying potential occupational health and safety hazards
* Participate in incident investigations, root cause analysis and action item completion/follow-up
* Assist in developing occupational safety programs, policies, and procedures. Periodically review all programs
* Assist in providing content for specific occupational safety/lab safety programs and conduct training as necessary
* Monitor and assist with safety initiatives
* Serves as Essential Personnel and may be called to respond to facility emergencies or other incidents impacting school operations. Performs other duties as required
* Bachelor's Degree in technical engineering/science discipline, or related field
* Minimum of 5 years of experience in an occupational safety program
* Experience with custodial operations including use of cleaning equipment and chemicals and applicability of bloodborne pathogen standards
* Experience with facility and maintenance worker operations, common safety issues and regulatory requirements
* Ability to understand and apply federal and state regulations (Occupation Safety and Health Administration/Virginia Occupational Safety and Health) concerning occupational safety and fire code (Virginia Fire Prevention Code)
* Working knowledge of instructional laboratory environments and familiarity with chemical hygiene plans and biosafety manuals. Experience with laboratory safety equipment (fume hoods, biological safety cabinets, eye wash stations, safety showers)
* Experience working in an educational environment with school administrators, faculty and staff
* Ability to work closely with consultants, regulatory agencies, and contractors.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, drive and walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, climb, kneel, crouch or bend and may be required to lift approximately 25 pounds. May be exposed to uneven terrain, extreme temperatures and other inclement weather.
The Occupational Safety Specialist reports to the Environmental, Safety and Occupational Health Coordinator.