School Social Worker
The School Social Worker promotes and enhances the overall academic mission of Loudoun County Public Schools by providing services which support students' academic and social success.
The School Social Worker alleviates barriers to learning by implementing effective intervention strategies with student, school staff, families and the community.
* Interviews parents of students referred for possible special education services and compiles information into socio-cultural assessment reports for use in the eligibility process; chairs multi-disciplinary clinical support teams for special education students attending the school-within-a-school program.
* Provides individual and group counseling in the area of anger management, social skills, self-esteem, and substance abuse and violence prevention for students in grades K-12; works with students through a strength-based service delivery model which includes identifying Developmental Assets; delivers classroom, school and community based presentations in the areas of substance abuse education and prevention.
* Assists in planning, implementing and analyzing the following programs: Safe School Ambassadors Program, Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports, PEER Helper Program, Bullying Prevention, Depression Awareness, Suicide Prevention and Threat Assessment; serves as part of the school system's crisis intervention team.
* Provides assessments and referral services for students who have been or are being affected by substance abuse issues; supports school-based substance abuse/violence prevention programs.
* Prepares reports for the Assistant Superintendent for Pupil Services on students being considered for possible release from compulsory attendance requirements; collects and submits outcome-based data on programs under Student Support Services
* Performs other such duties as assigned by the Supervisor of Student Support Services, Director of Student Services and Assistant Superintendent for Pupil Services
* Holds a Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW) from an accredited college or university
* Holds or is eligible for the Virginia Pupil Personnel Services License with an endorsement of School Social Worker
* Has a minimum of one year of successful experience as a School Social Worker or Social Work intern
* Has knowledge of and experience with substance abuse/addiction counseling and other teen issues.
* Possesses leadership qualities and personal characteristics necessary to work effectively with students, school personnel, parents, and members of the community
* Possesses effective oral and written communication abilities and productive time management skills
* Demonstrates strong skills in oral and written communication and time management
The School Social Worker reports to the Supervisor of Student Support Services.