Director of Federal Relations - Tax
Do you enjoy working in a fast paced, dynamic industry with issues that headline news and shape the current political landscape?
Working for one of the largest and most influential trade associations in the US, you will enjoy working as a team member for the only national trade association that represents all aspects of America’s oil and natural gas industry to the public, Congress, government and the media.
As our Director of Federal Relations – Tax, you will be responsible for direct federal lobbying activities in support of API advocacy objectives, particularly as they relate to tax policy. Duties associated with these responsibilities include: direct lobbying of Members of Congress, congressional staff, and federal agencies -- including Treasury, IRS, White House/National Economic Council, and the Office of Management and Budget; development of lobbying strategy and tactics in conjunction with API federal relations, state relations, mobilization, and tax policy staff, the Tax Strategy Subcommittee and the Committee on Federal Relations; and, coalition building and management.
You will be responsible for:
- Working knowledge of API issues and activities. Responding to member and public inquires; providing substantive answers and materials as needed or makes referring to the appropriate Council resource.
- Advocating API’s interests through direct lobbying of Members of Congress, Congressional staff, and federal agencies.
- Quickly identifying and analyzing tax-related legislation in consultation with API policy staff and committees and identifying and responding to regulatory rulemaking process through direct contact with federal agencies. Knowledge of the federal regulatory and rulemaking process with respect to tax issues is preferred.
- Seeking out opportunities to convey API messages to, and cultivating relationships with, elected officials, their staff and allied organizations important in support of API’s advocacy priorities.
- Representing API at various functions, and when required, making speeches and presentations.
- Coordinating and managing teams of member company Washington Representatives.
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with appropriate internal staff resources and external contacts including, but not limited to member company representatives, consultants, vendors, coalition/trade association partners and government agencies.
- Occasional domestic travel may be required.
Working on special projects and other duties as assigned.
You will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in political science or relevant discipline required or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five (5) year’s congressional, executive branch, trade association government relations, or related experience.
- Working knowledge of congressional protocols and processes.
- Working knowledge of executive branch protocols and processes.
- Significant work with or on congressional tax-writing committees and/or executive branch tax-related agencies or offices.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
Ability to prioritize and manage multiple issues, projects, tasks, and information/requests.
- Ability to use independent judgment in evaluating situations/issues.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as experience working with Internet applications.
The American Petroleum Institute (API) is the only national trade association representing all facets of the oil and natural gas industry, which supports 10.3 million U.S. jobs and nearly 8 percent of the U.S. economy. API’s more than 625 members include large integrated companies, as well as exploration and production, refining, marketing, pipeline, and marine businesses, and service and supply firms. They provide most of the nation’s energy and are backed by a growing grassroots movement of more than 40 million Americans.
Although our focus is primarily domestic, in recent years our work has expanded to include a growing international dimension, and today API is recognized around the world for its broad range of programs. Learn more about API at www.api.org.
As an API team member, you will enjoy competitive wages, excellent benefits, a generous PTO plan with paid holidays and a great working atmosphere.
API is an EOE M/F/D/V.
This job outline describes the typical accountabilities and requirements of the position and should not be construed as an all encompassing description of every duty performed by or expected of the incumbent.