Senior Director, Development
Join an amazing team. Impact Children's Literacy.
Reading is Fundamental (RIF); the nation's largest children's literacy nonprofit; for fifty years RIF has prepared and motivated children to read by delivering free books and literacy resources to those children and families who need them most. We have inspired children to be lifelong readers through the power of choice by providing access to new books that they can make their own. The seeds of inspiration in these books have motivated children to follow their dreams and achieve their potential. Yes, it seems incredible for a book to launch a life, but it happens every day as hungry, inquisitive young minds reach out and grab hold of the new people, places, and ideas that books bring them.
ABOUT THE POSITION
To achieve its ambitious short-and long-term development goals, Reading Is Fundamental seeks an experienced and motivated fundraiser to lead its Development team. The Sr. Director of Development will design, implement, and manage comprehensive programs and strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors through all funding channels with a specific focus on cultivating individual donors. The Sr. Director will work to help diversify and grow the organization's revenue streams by establishing a program of best practices and identifying and developing the critical processes required to increase both the number of donors and the level of support for the organization.
The Sr. Director will manage a personal portfolio of donors and prospects as well as partner with the senior management team, board of directors, CMO and CEO on recruiting and managing new donors. The Sr. Director is responsible for growing and diversifying RIF's donor base.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead all individual giving programs, including major gifts, annual and workplace giving, direct mail and online giving, donor advised funds, family foundations, and planned giving. Provide leadership and strategic direction to meet fundraising goals.
- Identify opportunities for growth through existing fundraising channels and identify new channels for fundraising. Develop the strategies and metrics required to meet/ exceed goals.
- Develop timelines, revenue forecasts, and organizational efficiencies to streamline fundraising efforts and maximize opportunities.
- Manage a portfolio of donors at various stages of the fundraising cycle from identification through solicitation and stewardship.
- Identify messaging strategies and resource requirements, in partnership with CMO, designed to maximize donations to RIF and develop a coordinated matrix of communication and solicitation strategies.
- Develop and manage development budget and monitor monthly revenue and expense projections for areas of responsibility.
- Assign major gift portfolio to senior management, board, CMO and CEO and provide support on cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of that portfolio.
- Work closely with the CEO, CMO and Board of Directors to formulate and implement policies and plans to meet the organization's short and long-term fundraising goals.
- Manage internal and external partners to meet fundraising goals.
- Represent Reading Is Fundamental positively and professionally throughout the community.
- Identify fundraising event opportunities, set and meet related fundraising goals. In partnership with internal stakeholders, oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of all fundraising and cultivation/stewardship events, including evaluating ROI and ensuring that all internal processes related to events, including gift acknowledgment, donor recognition, and the integration of online and internal/external event donors are completed appropriately and successfully. Administer and monitor the events fundraising goals, budget, and activities.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to ensure highest quality donor relations program. Develop and manage a comprehensive donor recognition program. Manage donor communications lifecycle, ensuring RIF meets the highest standards of donor support including; , maintenance of the organization's CRM database (Raiser's Edge), fulfillment of donor recognition, ensuring compliance with IRS guidelines, and the highest ethical standards.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- BA required, MBA preferred
- 10 years of progressively responsible non-profit development experience, including a minimum of three years staff supervisory experience.
- A strong record of cultivating donors through multiple channels and raising major gifts.
- Experience identifying giving opportunities and thinking creatively to establish matches between donors and funding priorities.
- Experience in developing donor-centric cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Demonstrated record of successfully building relationships and supporting and servicing donors, prospects, and other relevant constituencies.
- Ability to imagine, research, develop and coherently propose new ways to engage prospective and current donors.
- Experience managing cross-functional projects and teams within a national level non-profit setting.
- Experience successfully managing key internal and external stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to work effectively and persuasively with senior leaders.
- Proven success in managing positive working relationships with boards, volunteers, and staff to meet organizational goals.
- Excellent written and presentation skills. Able to quickly and consistently produce compelling donor communications and collateral as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data, prepare concise summaries and provide sound recommendations.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, and donor databases.
- Proficiency with donor related CRM database systems.
- Experience working for a nonprofit that supports children's causes a plus.
- 50% travel required.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter of interest and resume for consideration.
RIF offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental & vision plans, generous annual leave, 403(b) plan with company contribution, and company paid life and disability. For further information on RIF, please visit: www.rif.org.
RIF is an equal opportunity employer.