Instructional Systems Specialist
Occasional travel - *****
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a top secret Tier 5 clearance. For more information visit OPM Mythbuster Page.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Stand for long periods of time when instructing courses, being available and mobile in the field, consulting and/or teaching at on-site delivery locations to include but not limited to: firearms ranges, indoor and outdoor environments, both cold and hot climate areas, classrooms, distance learning locations.
- Perform in a variety of settings: practical exercises, simulations, field office locations, major event locations, or classroom settings.
Three (3) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or equivalent doctoral degree. OR
A combination of graduate level education and experience. This will be calculated using your resume and unofficial transcripts or a list of courses/course hours submitted with your application.
You qualify for the GS-12 level (starting salary $81,548) if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level performing duties such as: designing and developing training based upon learners’ needs; evaluating training based upon learner’s outcomes; implementing and facilitating training; and managing projects from conception to implementation and evaluation.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience) Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Qualifications Must Be Met: The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Degree: that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours appropriate to the work of the position to be filled. The course work must have included study in at least four of the following five areas:
- Learning theory, psychology of learning, educational psychology: Study of learning theories as they relate to the systematic design, development, and validation of instructional material.
- Instructional design practices: Study of the principles and techniques used in designing training programs, developing design strategy and models, and applying design methods to the improvement of instructional effectiveness.
- Educational evaluation: Study of the techniques for evaluating the effectiveness of instructional/educational programs, including developing written and performance tests and survey instruments, and determining reliability and validity of evaluation instruments.
- Instructional product development: Study of the techniques appropriate for developing training materials, including identifying learner characteristics, specifying objectives, applying training strategy, validating training materials, and evaluating training.
- Computer in education and training: Study of the application of computers in education and training, including selecting appropriate computer software.
E-Verify Statement: DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Click here to learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
Mandatory Suitability Statement:
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
This position will require a credit check after initial job qualifications have been determined.
Relocation expenses will not be authorized.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications, a score will automatically be calculated based on your answers to the vacancy specific questions to place you in one of three categories. All answers provided in the online process must be substantiated by your resume. Upon review, your resume and/or supporting documents need to support your answer choices and reflect the one year of specialized experience requirement, in order to be considered. If the one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the next lower grade level cannot be identified in your resume, you will be considered not qualified. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Knowledge of learning theory and the principles, methods, practices, and techniques of the instructional systems field.
- Skill in instructional facilitation, group dynamics, classroom management, and observing and analyzing instruction to evaluate learning level and development.
- Ability to develop training materials and evaluate the effectiveness of training.
- Skill in qualitative and quantitative techniques to conduct job analysis in order to design, develop, implement and assess training curriculum.
Interview Requirement: Interviews are required for this position. Failure to complete the interview may result in removal from further consideration.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Top Secret