Deputy Chief Scientist
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
1. Demonstrated mastery and experience in the development, management, and implementation of advanced science policy, research, and programs with scope at the national and/or international level. Provide examples how you have successfully met this requirement.
2. Demonstrated ability to lead, orchestrate, and direct science policy programs for large, complex organizations, characterized by a large geographically dispersed staff, providing managerial direction, advocacy, and evaluation of nationwide science policies and programs. Provide examples how you have successfully met this requirement.
3. Demonstrated ability to persuade and communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including senior and subordinate managers, Science Divisions within NASA, the Executive Office of the President, Congress, the scientific and academic communities, and other Federal agencies. Provide examples how you have successfully met this requirement.
You must meet qualifications requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
IMPORTANT: CANDIDATES MUST FULLY ADDRESS ALL ITEMS UNDER EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS AS WELL AS ALL ITEMS UNDER TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU COMPLETE YOUR ANSWERS OFF-LINE IN ADVANCE OF BEGINNING THE APPLICATION PROCESS, SO THAT YOU CAN INSERT THEM INTO THE ELECTRONIC FORM. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT SAVED.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Leading Change - Involves the ability to bring about strategic change, within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People - Involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organizations vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results Driven - Involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen - Involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions - Involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
Candidates must possess the following basic requirements:
1.Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics;
2. Combination of education and experience -- education equivalent to one of the majors shown in A above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Any applicant tentatively selected for this position may be required to undergo a pre-employment background investigation. This announcement is for a career appointment to a position at NASA in the Senior Executive Service (SES). Persons entering the SES for the first time are subject to a one-year probationary period. A financial disclosure statement is required upon appointment into the SES. This statement will be used to avoid conflicting situations in employment through advice and counseling. Your USAJOBS account asks you to assign a name to each of your resumes. When you apply to a NASA position, we will show you the text of the resume you have submitted, but we do not maintain the name you have assigned to that resume. If you wish to keep track of that information, we recommend you make note of it at the time you apply.
Relocation expenses may be paid consistent with NASA's policy.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Applicants will be evaluated by an Executive Resources Panel based on the managerial and technical qualification requirements stated in this announcement. Eligible candidates will be placed in qualified and highly-qualified categories. Interviews, and qualification and suitability inquiries may be requested. The highly-qualified will be referred to the appropriate official who will recommend selection.Read more Security clearance Public Trust - Background Investigation Drug test required No