Information Technology Specialist (APPSW)
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Selection for this position may require you to disclose information about your financial holdings and/or interests to assure no conflicts of interest exist. (OGE Form 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report).
Specialized experience for this position is defined as: Providing secure standard development, testing and operational IT environments; reviewing and analyzing policy and procedures to safeguard agency information and information systems as stipulated by Federal, and agency policies, procedures and guidelines; coordinating the resolution of resource and scheduling conflicts to insure that projects are completed within established timelines and budgets; and developing and reviewing cost estimates for all ADAM projects including human capital, hardware, and software expenditures and applying earned value management techniques to properly track project fiscal and schedule health.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge of policies, organizational structure, programs, missions, goals and objectives, the sequencing and timing of key program events and milestones, in order to schedule projects appropriately.
- Knowledge of Project Management Institute practices, guidance, policies, and procedures with expertise in managing a full range of complex IT application development and infrastructure projects within an organization in order to meet goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of information technology to include the following: thorough attention to detail in performing work and can creatively and independently provide resolution to technical problems in a cost effective manner.
- Knowledge and skill in applying the principles and objectives of information management and technologies including hardware and software, and applications to improve the performance of technical and management functions within an organization.
Experience must be IT related; the experience may be demonstrated by paid or unpaid experience and/or completion of specific, intensive training (for example, IT certification), as appropriate.
Applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below. This experience must also be found in your resume.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Time-in-Grade: Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement to receive consideration.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
There is no educational substitution for the Information Technology Specialist, GS-2210-14 position - applicants must demonstrate within their resume that they have at least 1 year of Specialized Experience as described under the Qualifications section that is equivalent to at least the next lower grade (GS-13).
The Individual Occupational Requirements may be found on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website linked here: Information Technology (IT) Management Series, 2210. There is no associated Group Coverage Qualification Standards for this series.
The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- New employees to the Department of Energy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to place you into an initial quality category via OPM's Category Rating procedures. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to ensure you have been placed into the appropriate quality category.
Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (when applicable), and training as described in your resume and applicant assessment. Your credentials are measured against the established duties of the position at the grade level(s) being advertised.
The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified", although they may differ slightly based on individual agency policy.
If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
If you are a Veteran Preference eligible candidate, you will be listed at the top of whichever quality category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here.