Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
In order to be considered qualified, you must demonstrate, in your resume and responses to questions, at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level directly related to the line of work of this position. Specialized experience may have been gained in a position interpreting in a variety of settings (i.e., hearings, depositions, training, workshops, etc.).
Your application will be evaluated on the following Core Competencies:
- Skill in interpreting from voice to sign and from sign to voice when necessary.
- Skill in interpreting in ASL (ASL), Pidgin Signed English (PSE) or Signed Supported Speech (SSS)
- Ability to apply analytical skills necessary to determine which communication mode the EEOC consumer is utilizing
- Ability to maintain an effective professional working relationship with management officials and employees.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualification Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions. It is available for your review on OPM's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/.
- You will be required to serve a trial/probationary period of 1 year
- EEOC will not pay travel, transportation and relocation expenses.
- You may be required to travel and you may be required to apply for a government travel card.
- A background investigation is required and continued employment is contingent on completion of that process to determine suitability for federal employment.
- As identical vacancies are identified, additional selections may be made from this announcement.
- This is a Non-Bargaining Unit position.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual's employment experience will be used only to determine the person's qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills and abilities. Although an individual's personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence or dishonesty handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination. Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
Applicants applying under Delegated Examining (all U.S. citizens) procedures will be rated under EEOC's Category Rating and Selection Procedures. Your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed in this announcement. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the Occupational Questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your score may be lowered and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. If it is determined you meet minimum qualification requirements, your application will then be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive selection priority over non-veteran preference eligibles. The candidates placed in the Best Qualified category will most likely be forwarded to the selecting official.