Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Job Category : Research Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The George Mason University, Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic and Earth Sciences (AOES) and Center for Ocean-Land Atmosphere Studies (COLA) in the College of Science has an opening for a postdoctoral research fellowship. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourage candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities The selected finalist will contribute to a research to operation project funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) under the National Weather Service (NWS) initiative. The purpose of the project is to deliver a Next Generation Global Prediction System (NGGPS) that meets the evolving national prediction requirements and the successful candidate will use a coupled atmosphere, ocean and sea ice model to conduct high-resolution sub-seasonal forecasts and evaluate the skill of forecasts following the operational requirements. Significant portions of this work will be performed on restricted-access computers that are owned and operated by NOAA.
Other responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with the NCEPs Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) and Climate Prediction Center scientists in the design of numerical experiments and forecast evaluations; and
- Manuscript preparation, revisions and publication.
- Candidates must have earned a doctorate in atmospheric sciences, climate dynamics, oceanography, or a closely related field to apply for this position prior to the first day of employment;
- The ability to pass a NOAA security check (United States citizenship or permanent residency is typically required); and
- Advanced programming skills including code development and shell scripting. Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with the Modular Ocean Model (MOM) and FV3 Finite-Volume Cubed Sphere Dynamical Core;
- Writing and presentation skills as exemplified by publications and presentations record; and
- Experience in managing and processing large data sets. About Us AOES and COLA house faculty and research scientists who are national and world leaders in understanding and prediction of Earths climate variations from sub-seasonal to interannual time scales. Scientists from several disciplines utilize national and international numerical models of the Earths system and forecast systems to advance the leading edge of prediction capabilities.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/F326AZ; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. This position is available for two years with the second-year subject to renewal upon performance and availability of funds. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Prof. Cristiana Stan at email@example.com
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Job Close Date :