The primary function of the Athletic Custodian is to maintain the athletic fields, gymnasium, and other interior high school athletic spaces.
This assignment will ensure that all competition fields, practice fields, and spectator areas are maintained in a neat appearance and interior athletic spaces are maintained in a clean, sanitary condition and are properly prepared for athletic events. During school vacations and weather emergencies this employee assists the custodial staff in removing snow or cleaning the school.
The work hours of the Athletic Custodian are flexible, within reason. It is expected that the Athletic Custodian would work day hours during the fall and spring sports seasons and afternoon/evening hours during the winter sports season. The Athletic Custodian would also work daytime hours during the summer. Their hours should permit them to be available to prepare for all sporting events during each sports season. If possible their hours should be structured so that they are available for preparation of athletic events.
* Maintains the outdoor athletic facilities including competition fields, practice fields, and along fence lines and in spectator areas by picking up trash, cutting grass, and trimming. Performs routine preventive maintenance on field equipment
* Prepares competition fields for all athletic events including marking fields, dragging infields, replacing infield soil mix, removing transitions between infield and outfield of baseball and softball fields, and watering fields
* Responsible for setting up for all indoor sporting events, but will be helped by other custodians or student volunteers if the items to be set in place are too heavy for one person. Authorized to open and close bleachers and to raise and lower basketball backboards
* Performs routine checks for grandstand safety, tightens loose bolts, and paints small rust areas
* Dust mops gym floors at least twice a day and before practices in the gyms. Responsible for cleaning the team locker rooms, training rooms, weight rooms, athletic offices, and officials spaces during the school day and after athletic competitions
* Checks and refills toilet paper, paper towel, and soap dispensers
* Performs related work as required
Graduation from high school; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
* Ability to read and write; and to follow oral and written instructions
* Ability to operate a riding lawn mower, athletic field maintenance equipment, push mower, weed eater, and normal custodial equipment