Teacher, English (Department Chair)
Under general supervision of a principal and/or other designated administrator, plans and implements an instructional program and provides related educational services for students. The High School Department Chair leads the department in instructional innovations, and methods that will engage students in authentic, challenging work toward deeper learning of the curriculum.
Manages student behavior, assesses and evaluates student achievement, and modifies instructional activities, as required; carries out a variety of student monitoring and controls activities; performs related duties as required or assigned.
Positions covered by this specification serve general education classrooms. Classes taught may be single or multi-grade level, subject, skill or specialty oriented. Incumbents usually perform duties within a team or departmental setting, but may work independently in a unique teaching specialty. Some positions are assigned to science labs or industrial arts/technology or other education labs where greater than average monitoring is required in order to diminish the chance of accidental injury to students.
- Continually assess student achievement and maintain appropriate assessment and evaluation documentation for institutional and individual reporting purposes
- Plan and implement appropriate instructional and/or learning strategies and activities, including determination of appropriate kind and level of materials, provide appropriate learning experiences, manage allotted learning time to maximize student achievement, and utilize a variety of instructional materials and available multi-media and computer technology to enhance learning
- Manage the behavior of learners in an instructional setting to ensure that the environment is conducive to the learning process, and assist and participate in management of student behavior in other parts of the school, center, school grounds, or work site
- Coordinate instructional activities with other professional staff, both school and nonschool-based, as required, to maximize learning opportunities
- Participate in in-service and professional development activities and staff meetings, as required or assigned
- Continually communicate with students on instructional expectations to keep them informed of their progress in meeting those expectations; Communicate with parents through conferences and other means
- Collaborate with other professionals (guidance counselors, librarians, etc.) to carry out schoolwide instructional or related activities as needed
DEPARTMENT CHAIR PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Leads and supports colleagues in the creation and assessment of student-centered, authentic learning experiences for students. Keeps informed on educational innovations and trends as they relate to authentic learning and student engagement. Applies the learning to leadership actions and professional learning within the department.
* Assists Principals and Curriculum Supervisors to promote school based goals aligned with division initiatives; Attends relevant School District and professional meetings or trainings as needed and serves a capacity building leadership role in their buildings.
* Assists the Curriculum Supervisor in establishing division objectives and develops a plan for the implementation and evaluation of objectives; Meets regularly with department chairs at the division level to promote interdisciplinary programs and integrated learning.
* Assists the Principal in establishing departmental objectives and develops a plan for the implementation and evaluation of objectives; Meets regularly with site-based department chairs to promote interdisciplinary programs and integrated learning.
* Collaborates with their respective curriculum department chairs and Curriculum Supervisor; Works in collaboration with the curriculum supervisor to implement and support the district curriculum; Oversees the acquisition of appropriate departmental instructional materials, including community resources. Interprets the instructional program with staff for parents and community.
* Facilitates department meetings and professional learning; Provides ongoing feedback on curriculum, instruction, assessment, and student learning to the staff, Principal and Curriculum Supervisor; Participates in, and encourages regular peer-to-peer observation in classrooms and organizes consultation/feedback sessions to enhance teaching and learning.
* Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the Principal, or Curriculum Supervisor in consultation with the Principal.
Must have or be eligible for Virginia licensure with endorsement(s) required for teaching assignment(s).
Knowledge of content, curriculum, methods, materials, and equipment of instructional specialty(ies) to which assigned; knowledge of pre-adolescent and adolescent growth and development; knowledge of Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) curriculum related to assignments and School Division mission, goals, and organization; ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory to instructional programs; skill in the use of multi-media and computer technology to enhance learning; ability to plan and implement lessons based on Division and school objectives and the needs and abilities of students to whom assigned; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, peers, administrators, and parents; skill in oral and written communications; excellent human relations skills.
DEPARTMENT CHAIR QUALIFICATIONS:
* Holds or is eligible for a Postgraduate Professional License in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
* Has successful experience as a classroom teacher.
* Has demonstrated the professional and personal characteristics necessary for working effectively with school personnel—including a commitment to instructional innovation for student learning.
* Has demonstrated successful experience working with and leading colleagues in meaningful professional learning experiences that translate directly to impacting classroom practices.
The Department Chair reports to the Principal or the Principal's designee, and consults with the Curriculum Supervisor on a regular basis.