Sunday Manager (Librarian II)
Assists in managing the full range of library services offered in a regional library. Acts as the person in charge as designated, and may supervise some information services staff, to include scheduling, training, monitoring, and evaluating staff as well as communicating policies and procedures. Interviews and assists patrons of all ages in locating materials and information. May arrange or coordinate programs or tours.
Schedule: This is a part-time position working 20 hours and 3 to 4 days per week, including Sundays.
- Participates in the evaluation, development and maintenance of collection; trains, supervises and evaluates subordinate personnel;
- Personally handles the more difficult and complex reference and reader advisory services;
- Evaluates and recommends books, periodicals and/or media for addition to adult or children's collections;
- Interprets and communicates Library policy to staff and general public;
- Promotes and represents Library System before outside groups;
- Knowledge of professional library science;
- Familiarity with the principles and practices of library administration;
- General knowledge of reference sources and material;
- Ability to plan and schedule workload;
- Ability to effectively train and supervise others;
- Ability to promote interest in library services;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with professional and clerical staff and with the general public.
Graduation from college and a master's degree from an accredited library school and one year of professional library experience.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
Possession of a certificate issued by the Virginia State Board for Certification of Librarians within three (3) months of date of appointment to the position.
Two or more years of experience working in a library, to include one year of supervisory experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to the position will be required to complete a criminal background check and Child Protective Services Registry check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Ability to input, access and retrieve information from a computer. Ability to lift books weighing up to 10 pounds. Ability to push and pull full 4-wheeled book carts and book bins. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 711. EEO/AA/TTY.