Community Development Manager - Economic Development
The City of Takoma Park is seeking an experienced individual with a broad range of economic development experience and skills. The initial focus of this position will be on the implementation of the City's Housing and Economic Development Strategic Plan and the establishment of a new Economic Development Division within the Housing and Community Development Department. Projects will include, among others, the development of a new Business Retention and Expansion Program; coordination of multi-jurisdictional efforts to mitigate the impact of a new light rail system - the Purple Line - on local businesses; the formation of a multi-jurisdictional business improvement district; redevelopment of a local recreation facility; and oversight of ongoing contracts for services with area business associations.
This is a full-time position that is not subject to membership in the AFSCME union. The annualized salary for the position ranges from $75,275.83 to $91,828.20, and is commensurate with experience.
Typical Duties of this Position include:
- Management of assigned projects and programs; performance of research and analysis; identification of needs; development and implementation of appropriate strategies and programming; coordination with community partners and other departments;
- Development of budget proposals; management of approved funds; monitoring of assigned contracts; processing of payments; monitoring of annual budgets; identification of funding opportunities;
- Provision of support and technical assistance to property owners, the business community, nonprofit housing providers, and community development organizations
- Coordination of work with county, state and federal agencies to coordinate and to advance local and regional initiatives and shared economic and community development goals;
- Provision of staff support to assigned committees and boards; representation of the City at local, regional and state meetings;
- Development and implementation of marketing initiatives; informational materials and campaign strategies; website updates and coordination of social media;
- Development and coordination of educational programming targeted to the business community;
- Management of division personnel; development of work plans and goals; training, work assignments, scheduling, supervision, and evaluation; ensure compliance with policies and procedures;
- Monitoring of legislative changes; recommendation of amendments to City codes and regulations and analysis of their implications for the City; and
- Performance of related duties.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in Economic Development, Community Development, Planning, Finance, Business Administration, Real Estate or other related field.
- Four to six years of related experience; or
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential function of the position.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the state in which the employee resides for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The following materials must be included with your submission. They can be uploaded under "Documents." Submissions that do not include these documents will not be considered.
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample (maximum length two pages)
Submissions that do not include these documents will not be considered.